How Do I Join a Seminary?

Hi Everyone,

I'm just curious about the process. I was visiting a monastery a couple times and one of the guests there, sort of encouraged me to join the seminary.

I didn't make the decision to yet, but I'm curious to know the procedure, in case I ever do consider joining. What is the general procedure like? Do I walk in and tell them I would like to join? Talk to a priest or Bishop? Do I need to provide them with any information, like baptism certificates etc?

If anyone knows the procedure I'd appreciate some information about it.

Thanks
Lucien

You can apply as a diocesan candidate, in which case you contact whichever diocese you wish to apply in. They will send you to whichever seminary(ies) they use.

You can apply to a religious order. They will do what they do.

You can apply to a Society of Apostolic life like the FSSP or ICRSS. They have their own seminaries.

dont think of entering because the guy told you.
just enter to the front door and ask. that is the best.
there are dozens of vocations and congregations that you cannot find the answer for them all here.

No man just applies to a seminary randomly. Someone has to sponsor you, a diocese, religious order, society of apostolic life, etc. You apply through the group, not the seminary.

Whether interested in a religious order, society of apostolic life, or your local diocese, to first step would always be to contact the Vocations Director for that organization. Look on the internet for his details. This priest would explain all the process to you. In general, it would involve getting to know you over a few months to a couple of years, going to visit a seminary, subjecting you to a battery of psychological tests, taking up references, and yes, getting baptismal certificates.

The first step is to ask your parish priest and they will guide you through the whole process and support you in the decisions you make along the way. He is the best person to ring and talk the whole thing through. Priests really do help. They can help you take a step back and assess it all and find out which way is the best way forward for you. Don’t worry if you don’t go to church at this stage. Contact the priest anyway and tell them what it all is and hopefully he will be there with you at every step of your journey if that is the route you want to go or not. Priests walk with us in our daily lives and may well help you with where you are at, at the moment anyway.

Looks like we’re in a similar situation :slight_smile:
First thing to do is definitely to chat up your pastor, you’ll find out that he’s pretty much your first contact for anything you’ll want to do. Before formally turning in any applications, you should talk to your diocese’s vocation director, who will be a priest somewhere in the diocese (probably near the see of the diocese), who will help you through the process. You’ll probably become friendly with him before immediately being accepted, because they’ll probably want to gauge where you are on the discernment process. After that, there’s a long, draw out application including finger print cards, psyche exams, transcripts, et cetera. All of it is brought to the Bishop of you diocese, who gets final say on whether or not to accept you, but the vocation director will have a say in it as well. If you’re accepted, you’re off to collegiate seminary if you don’t already have an undergraduate degree, or a major seminary for pre-theology or theology (depending on various factors) if you already have a bachelor’s in something.

Contact the Office of Vocations at the diocese where you live. That’s where to start. They will help you discern and decide. they will help you contact religious orders if you wish to join an order.

Reb Levi

Thanks for all the replies, and information. Someone mentioned that I shouldnt go just because one person told me, again I’m not going just because of this. I was simply considering my options and needed some advise,

Thanks again everyone.

=lucien123;9289772]Hi Everyone,

I’m just curious about the process. I was visiting a monastery a couple times and one of the guests there, sort of encouraged me to join the seminary.

I didn’t make the decision to yet, but I’m curious to know the procedure, in case I ever do consider joining. What is the general procedure like? Do I walk in and tell them I would like to join? Talk to a priest or Bishop? Do I need to provide them with any information, like baptism certificates etc?

If anyone knows the procedure I’d appreciate some information about it.

Thanks
Lucien

It is normal to “make application” not so dissembler to applying “for a job”. BEFORE doing so it would be VERY PRUDENT to discuss the issue with your parish priest.:slight_smile:

May God Bless and guide you to where He wants YOU to be.

pat/PJM

Thank You.
Answered my question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.