How do I join the seminary?

I know I have a vocation to the priest-hood 100%, but, I don’t exactly know how to join. I know two seminarians and they both just made me completely confused:confused:.

Thanks!

Contact the vocation director of the diocese you are in and talk to them about it.

[quote="marty1818, post:2, topic:328511"]
Contact the vocation director of the diocese you are in and talk to them about it.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The only way into seminary is through the bishop or the superior of an order, and they all have vocations directors who facilitate the application process.

sulpicians.org/ here ya go..

It’s pending on the seminary they can be allowed a limited time of formation unsponsored. But after a certain time period you need to find a sponsor or get kicked out of formation.

I think each seminary is going to have its own application instructions. I would suggest talking to the vocation director.

It also might be helpful to figure out what kind of priest you want to be. A parish priest? Join a religious order? There are so many paths I would start by identifying your strengths and then praying to see where God is calling you. :thumbsup:

I’ll make a list:
[LIST=1]
*]Contact the Vocations Director of the Diocese you live in (his contact information can usually be found on your Diocese’s website, or from your pastor).
*]Speak with the Vocations Director about your discernment, and other details of your life and perceived vocation.
*]Ask the Vocations Director about applying for the Diocese (he should have all applications).
*]Complete the application. This will probably take a few months because of all the materials that need to be collected.
*]Once you turn in your application, it will be sent to your Bishop for review.
*]If your Bishop accepts you, he will assign you to a seminary.
*]Complete the application for the seminary.
[/LIST]

The only way you can attend a seminary as a seminarian (not just a student) is when you are sponsored by a bishop or the superior or a religious order.

[quote="Nonsmoker, post:1, topic:328511"]
I know I have a vocation to the priest-hood 100%, but, I don't exactly know how to join. I know two seminarians and they both just made me completely confused:confused:.

Thanks!

[/quote]

Hello there!

I am very happy to hear of your realization. A few months ago, I was finally accepted to the Seminary for the Archdiocese of Boston. I have been through the process of Diocesan Application and it takes quite some time, so I urge you to take time in to account and do so wisely. Do note that if you feel called to the Diocese, the Director is very busy man and patience is necessary.

I'd like to make one note, though. You said that you know you "have a vocation to the priest-hood 100%". Be very careful with this attitude of self confidence. Seminary discernment is founded on surrendering one's will to God. Submitting our will for the greater will of God. Remember, brother, you aren't serving yourself in the Seminary, you are serving God. Directors do NOT want to hear that you are "positive" of a vocation. This is unhealthy. Ask yourself two questions:

I. What does God want me to do with the life He has given me?

Truly, this affirms that God must call you to the Vocation. This likewise shows that you are open to whatever God has for you.

II. Would you feel free to leave the Seminary if you felt that you were not called?

This is a very specific and direct answer. One that is yes or no, one that has a right answer, and one that will be asked of you.

Be weary brother. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions in regards to the process.

Congratulations!! It’s so awesome that you have not only heard God speaking and calling you, but have had the courage to be willing to respond! I would go to your archdiocese website and search for contact information for your vocational director. He’ll be able to answer your questions and get you set up with the seminary in your area.

You’ll be in my prayers!

God bless,

Chloe M.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.