How do I keep from clashing with Darrell on religion so much?

Hi everyone. I have a problem of offending Darrell a lot when it comes to religion. He seems to feel that I have a holier than thou attitude when it comes to other religions and I guess I do. I am not sure what to do. He believes that most religions are equal. He strongly disagrees with Catholicism and with Scientology and some other religions/cults though. (I am not calling Catholicism a cult by any means.)

See, as an example, last night I was watching Protestant television (I have no EWTN where I live). I wasn’t watching preaching but a documentary. Anyway, a commercial came on about Protestants evangelizing in Mexico and I go very angry. I was angry because I felt that the Protestants were trying to take Catholics out of the Catholic Church and make them Protestant. Well, he then got mad at me because I feel that the Catholic Church is superior to the Protestant church which I do feel that way.

I wasn’t sure what do or say and the argument ended in a stale mate but with both of us forgiving the other. What should I do in situations like this? :confused:

I want to witness to Darrell but I suppose I should be doing that through my actions rather than through my words. Anyway, what advice do you have for me? :shrug::confused:

I know the tough times one has in this situation with non believers or other faiths in the house and the conflict. If I can offer one piece of advice in your particular situation it’s to never go against your faith but only correct him with the greatest charity. If you want to convert then love him with the love of Christ. If you can, unlike me, follow the teachings of St Francis of Assissi to the letter. Really go all out to live them in all your dealings with him. Pray and offer sacrifices for him too.

Say and follow the advice in this prayer below. It’ll make a huge difference-

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Love him to death and he’ll very likely convert one day.

Ok, thank you John Russell Jr. I appreciate this advice and it is great advice indeed. :thumbsup: I have had a tendency to correct him in anger in the past. If I change this and correct him in love, I am sure he will take it more easily. Thanks again for your help and advice. :slight_smile:

Also, everyone, I welcome further advice if you wish to give it. ;):slight_smile:

You can PM me for any further information you may wish to have. :slight_smile:

Keep a humble attitude, a soft heart and get very involved in your local Catholic Church. Set a good example for Darrell by being involved and offer chances for him to take an active role. Not as “I told you so” but with humility and love. My wife did that for ~10 years before I realized how great she was and that I needed to get with the program and not waste my life. We were married in 87, I completed RCIA in 94 and CRHP in 2008.

Oh ok cool. :slight_smile: Thanks for this advice Leroy. I have been wanting to attend a CRHP retreat for a while now but I have never been able to find the time for it. Also, I will be sure to try to keep a humble heart as well. I admit though, that is quite difficult for me. :blush:

I say this daily Litany of Humility to grow in humility. :slight_smile:

I read in Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us. that one must beg for humility to receive it. :eek:

Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

Thank you AveSantaMaria. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.