How do I know God is calling me?

Hello all! I am 16 and I think I'm being called to religious life. Ever since 3rd grade I've had a place in my heart for becoming a religious sister, and that has only grown stronger. I've been thinking and praying about my vocation for the past 2 years, and I think God may be calling me to consecrate my life to Him. I don't know though. What if I'm wrong? I don't want to tell people I know and either get their hopes up or disappoint them. How do I become sure that this is what God wants me to do?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice! God bless!

Go speak to your priest or vocations director. You are only 16 so you have a few more years left of schooling to do some more discernment and seeking. Do you have any orders you have thought about? as some offer retreats, or let girls visit to find out more. Some orders have vocational enquiry weekends and some diocese have vocation information days.

Also not everyone knows if this is truly what God wants of them to become a religious until they are in training or taken their final vows.

Discerning religious life is like dating. You don't go on a first date because you're sure he's the one, or even because you're sure you're called to marriage. You go to find out.

[quote="Ad_Orientem, post:3, topic:322810"]
Discerning religious life is like dating. You don't go on a first date because you're sure he's the one, or even because you're sure you're called to marriage. You go to find out.

[/quote]

Yes, I think that's a good analogy although discernment is not a fast track process. Please don't think that you will be letting anyone down if you feel you wasn't called after more prayer and discernment. It is a special vocation and if you find that this is not for you I am sure God will let you know in time what your vocation is. God bless you. I will be praying for you.;)

first have a spiritual director he will always be able to help you out

if you have the opportunity to go visit religious orders the only way you can know if God is calling you be to a religious sister is to go visit religious orders if you feel attracted to a place you may be called there.

Also trust in God if he is calling you to a certain religious order he WILL open the doors for you and you will get to the place he wants you to get, you just have to do your job and look for religious orders pray about it and have a spiritual director.

God Bless

CT

In addition to the other great advice here (seeking a spiritual director, retreats with religious orders, vocation information fairs/days), I would recommend trying to engage in some elements of religious life that may be available to you as a young laywoman, such as:

[LIST]
]To the extent possible, and according to your personal needs (e.g. whether you have a job outside school, what your family's schedule allows), make and keep a reasonable daily/weekly schedule of activities. Try getting up around 5-6am and going to bed by 10-11pm. In between, schedule times for prayer, school, exercise & recreation, work, family meals, household chores, and so forth. *Your schedule will, by necessity, be considerably different from a religious sister's, of course! And any schedule you make will have to be somewhat flexible to accommodate other people, special occasions, and so forth-- don't get rigid about this. But you can try making and living by a reasonable schedule. :)
]If you do not already do so, try praying the liturgy of the hours daily-- at least some of the hours, such as morning and evening prayer. If you don't have books, or access to a LOTH-based devotional such as *Magnificat magazine, there are some free resources online.
*]If you have access to adequate transportation and a church where this is possible, attend Mass and/or Eucharistic adoration daily, or at least as frequently as your circumstances allow.
[/LIST]

The idea here is to bring some practical, everyday elements into your discernment and decision process, because things like retreats with religious orders or diocesan/school vocation fairs don't happen everyday. If you have a spiritual director, discuss some elements that might be appropriate to you and your circumstances. :)

I've been doing what the last guy said -aspirant- I do have a routine, I'm very involved in my parish, I love assisting teachers with CCD, I go to Mass everyday and I have my own Magnificant with morning and evening prayers. The only unusual thing is I'm 30 yrs old and more of a revert who came back to my faith (which I was born and raised in with very devout Catholic parents). This is the thing: Ever since my confirmation, I've had this spiritual "vision" -it's where I saw this beautiful and luminescent dove that emanated these rays of light and fire over me and all the other people being confirmed that day. I always wondered if that was a sign or a way of perhaps telling me something....I've always been interested and attracted by nuns in their habits....My parents ever since this day, have always "insinuated" that if I was called or ever felt the desire to be a nun would be the Best Thing Ever! Other close friends and even parishioners have said that they would think this would be the best suited vocation for me.... I just don't get it.... Is there something there I'm not aware of??

Another question is with certain amount of influence would that affect any calling you may have and if you thought about going to those discernment retreats...would this be a good reason to go to those retreats?

Ave Maria!

As the others have said, a spiritual director is extremely vital. Frequent the Sacraments. Strive for virtues. Read the lives of the Saints.

Most importantly, consecrate yourself to Our Lady, and put your vocation in the hands of the most tender and loving Mother of Vocations. She will lead you in the most perfect way and present you to Our Lord in the most perfect manner possible. Whether you are called to religious life or not, She is the key to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Prayers for your vocation!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul, FI

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.