How do I know if I am ready to convert?

Dear Apologist,

I’m currently in RCIA and the time of Confirmation is approaching. How do I know if I am ready to become a Catholic? Sometimes I have doubts about the faith, is this normal, will the sacraments be valid if I doubt sometimes?

Is there a point where doubt is sufficient to invalidate Confirmation? A point where doubts should prevent a person from receiving Communion?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Dear H,

One has to have faith in order to have a doubt about it. People without faith have no doubts about the faith they don’t have. However, they can have doubts about their lack of faith.

To affirm ones’ faith in the face of doubt is to strengthen one’s faith. This is why the Lord allows us to have doubts. “I believe Lord; help my unbelief!” (Mk 9:24) Such an act of trust in the Lord is actually an expression of love as well. Keep your eyes on your crucified Lord and He will take care of your doubts.

The validity of the sacraments does not depend on the strength of our faith. They are objective realities. The bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ—regardless of the strength of our faith—or even the strength of the priest’s faith who consecrates it!

So long as you doubt and don’t absolutely refuse to believe, don’t every hesitate from receiving the sacraments. Let us pray that our faith may daily grow stronger—even if it means dealing with doubts. He and His Church are worth it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.