How do I know what I'm supposed to do?

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a bird scientist, or to at least work with birds in some form. When I applied to the current university I’m in, I knew I was going to get in because I saw all the signs.
But now I wonder. I am terrible at the sciences (ie. math, chemistry, biology, etc), and to be a scientist, you of course have to know these things. I thought about going to a Catholic college to study theology because I’m sure I would enjoy that too.

How do I know what God wants for me? I know people say to just listen, or that God will let you know, but I’ve been in a spiritual dry spell for a while now, and I don’t feel as though I can hear Him. I’m always praying, but I just feel lost and I don’t know what to do anymore. It scares me because I’ve always known, and now suddenly I’m questioning it. Am I just running away from the sciences?

Hi Grey,

A lot depends on just HOW interested you are in birds. St. Thomas Aquinas tells us that grace builds on nature. Usually God wants us to use the gifts He has given us. So a person with an un-steady hand is not likely to be called to be a brain surgeon. You mention that you are not good with math and science. I suppose the question is: how not good are you? A lot of people are not good at such subjects but are able to squeak by to get such requirements out of the way.

But if studying birds is made up basically of math and science, then maybe God is calling you to use the gifts that you do have. You really need to know what your gifts are. It is possible for you to pursue another field and have bird study as a hobby. Perhaps you could become a photographer and take bird pictures in your spare time. There are just so many ways to go with this. Pray to the Holy Spirit for enlightenment and I will pray also.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.