How do I know what my Vocation is?

How do I know what my Vocation is?
Do you choose one?
Please tell me everything I should know

Thank you

May The Lord Our God Bless You All!

Listen to your heart and pray about it. The Holy Spirit will guide you. This answer my sound vague but it the clearest answer. I didn't l understand I had a vocation until a couple of years ago. Now I have 2 Marriage and Secular Franciscan Order.

Hey, I'm in my mid-50s, and I STILL don't know what my vocation is!

I didn't want to get married and breed kids (I have a low threshold of pain, and I feel that the world we got right now is no place to bring up children in), and I can't be in religious life because I'm considered TOO OLD (not to mention having not-so- robust health and debts I can't pay).

So I'm 'single by default'. It sucks a lot of times, but what else is there?

OK, end of rant....:shrug:...not much to look forward to except old age, illness, loneliness-and death.

[quote="barb_finnegan, post:3, topic:222868"]
Hey, I'm in my mid-50s, and I STILL don't know what my vocation is!

I didn't want to get married and breed kids (I have a low threshold of pain, and I feel that the world we got right now is no place to bring up children in), and I can't be in religious life because I'm considered TOO OLD (not to mention having not-so- robust health and debts I can't pay).

So I'm 'single by default'. It sucks a lot of times, but what else is there?

OK, end of rant....:shrug:...not much to look forward to except old age, illness, loneliness-and death.

[/quote]

prayer and ask for the intercession of St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

If you really want to know what your vocation is I want to make some recommendations:
1. pray daily (develop prayer life) (one recommendation out of the many out there is to try the SOLT society's lay formation program - the first is on prayer to help you to develop your prayer life, the second is on discernment, etc...)
2. consider a spiritual director/co-discerner. I recommend 2 books by Fr. Thomas H. Green Friend of the Bridegroom and Weeds among the Wheat for a better understanding on Spiritual Direction/discernment

As a friend to a friend - listen to your heart. Be honest and real with God. Listen. He really does answer.

If you ever can, the most helpful retreat I ever did was an 8day Retreat (Exercises of St. Ignatius).

I hope you can entrust this question to God and find people around you whom you can trust and are mature in their faith.

Seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened, ask and you shall receive

May God guide you along the path and direct you as to where to go.

Relentless prayer and an open heart.

[quote="CVI, post:5, topic:222868"]

As a friend to a friend - listen to your heart. Be honest and real with God. Listen. He really does answer.
QUOTE]

I don't know how to listen To Our Lord. Do I hear audible words?

I try to spend half an hour or more talking To Our Lord like I would any other person, but it always feels like a one way conversation (I know it's not though)

I don't feel any attraction to any vocation currently.

I used to feel an attraction to the Priesthood, but not any more.

I just feel neutral.

Does this mean my vocation is to stay single?

I am also lazy, and don't pray often. Would this be a sin of sloth?

[/quote]

Something similar is occurring with me. I've looked at various orders and communities: Redemptorists, Passionists, the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, the Augustinians, the Franciscans of the Immaculate, as well as the diocesan priesthood. At the end of the day, I take something from the spirituality of each, but still I.Dont.Know. I read in a book, however, something that I would like to share with you. It was given to me by the vocations director of my diocese. It said that young men are too focused these days on finding the end answer. Focus instead on trusting Jesus. One step at a time. Do not worry, in other words, about the order or form of your vocation, just simply follow where Christ leads. How will you know? Ask yourself -- what brings you the most peace, what brings you closest to God?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.