How do I pray for this?

Hi all,
I’m a 17 year old guy who feels called to marriage. I do not, nor have I ever had a girlfriend. I do however feel called to marriage in the Catholic Church. I’ve received a lot of advice like this: “Pray for your future spouse (wife in my case) often”. Only problem is I’m not really sure what to pray for… I recently started praying through a journal, and I’ve prayed about her every single time I’ve written in it. But I feel like I don’t know what to pray for. And what should I pray solely for her good? Thanks for any help and advice anyone may give, I greatly appreciate it! God Bless :slight_smile:

I would pray that you meet her at the right time.

If you met her while you were involved with someone else, that could cause some heartache and trouble.

Or that you recognize her when you find her.

Praying for your intentions.

I think one thing is to pray that you will become a man who would be a great husband. Find all the good tendencies/attitudes, and start practicing them. I think that your ideas for a good wife may change a bit as you grow older. You would want a woman who is physically, mentally and spiritually mature. Same as you need to be. In many of Paul’s writings, he mentions marriage. Well, in some. Like, “Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the Church.” A marriage is a full time deal. No time off, no vacations. And be prepared for the fact that no relationship is easy. If you aren’t commited to it 110%, then it won’t work. Find the one who you can give that to, and who would return it full favor.

I remember as a child asking God for a wife and children when I was older and that I couldn’t care about cars and money etc.

Pray the Rosary and ask for what you want,* Thy will be done*.

You may be waiting ten years though.

In the book of Tobit, Raphael helped Tobias find his future wife. He is often invoked by Catholic singles for finding a spouse. Here is an example of one such prayer:

Prayer to St. Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings

O Raphael, lead us towards those we are waiting for, those who are waiting for us! Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings, lead us by the hand towards those we are looking for! May all our movements, all their movements, be guided by your Light and transfigured by your Joy.

Angel Guide of Tobias, lay the request we now address to you at the feet of Him on whose unveiled Face you are privileged to gaze. Lonely and tired, crushed by the separations and sorrows of earth, we feel the need of calling to you and of pleading for the protection of your wings, so that we may not be as strangers in the Province of Joy, all ignorant of the concerns of our country.

Remember the weak, you who are strong–you whose home lies beyond the region of thunder, in a land that is always peaceful, always serene, and bright with the resplendent glory of God. Amen.

Speak from your heart. Tell God your feelings and your desires, and ask that His perfect will be done and for you to lead in the right direction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.