How Do I Pray The Rosary

I looked on a bunch of sites (including this site) and found only scattered and disorganized prayers. I just want to know exactly what I need to say.

Thank you.

here is a video but i found a lot of other sites as well let me know if you want the others as well

youtube.com/watch?v=3-w62N4nc8E

rosary-center.org/howto.htm

ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/rosary/how_to.htm

I used these two websites and kept a notebook for myself.

Good luck!

All those are thing I’ve tried. I’m looking for something I can print out.

Thanks though :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the Mysteries are or what part I have to say. This is so confusing :blush:

this one looks good you should be able to print it out
newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf

:eek:

81 prayers in one? A lot of them are repetitions…didn’t God say not to use vain repetitions and long prayers? :confused:

Anyway, with the Mysteries, do I recite the Bible passages mentioned?

Here is a simple to understand explanation.

familyrosary.org/main/rosary-how.php

:blessyou:

The Fifteen Promises of the Virgin Mary

to those who recite the Rosary

1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.

2. I promise my special protection and the greatest graces to all those who shall recite the Rosary.

3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.

4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the hearts of people from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.

5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall not perish.

6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its Sacred Mysteries shall never be conquered by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death; if he be just, he shall remain in the grace of God, and become worthy of eternal life.

7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.

8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plentitude of His graces; at the moment of death they shall participate in the merits of the Saints in Paradise.

9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.

10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in Heaven.

11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.

12. All those who propagate the Holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.

13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.

14. All who recite the Rosary are my children, and brothers and sisters of my only Son, Jesus Christ.

15. Devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.

Blessings of the Rosary

1. Sinners are forgiven.

2. Souls that thirst are refreshed.

3. Those who are fettered have their bonds broken.

4. Those who weep find happiness

5. Those who are tempted find peace.

6. The poor find help.

7. Religious are reformed.

8. Those who are ignorant are instructed.

9. The living learn to overcome pride.

10. The dead (the Holy Souls) have their pains eased by suffrages.
    Benefits of the Rosary

11. It gradually gives us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ.

12. It purifies our souls, washing away sin.

13. It gives us victory over all our enemies.

14. It makes it easy for us to practice virtue.

15. It sets us on fire with love of Our Lord.

16. It enriches us with graces and merits.

17. It supplies us with what is needed to pay all our debts to God and to our fellow men; and finally, it obtains all kinds of graces for us from Almighty God.

:confused:

When did she ever say that?

Also, why is there such a focus on Mary in Catholicism? Why do I feel like she is exalted to a status which only One deserves?

What ever happened to that guy in Nazareth…what was His name? Oh yeah…Jesus :shrug:

TristanCross, you are getting yourself confused for no reason.

Praying the Rosary is a beautiful way to pray to our Blessed Mother and to ask her intercession to her Son.

**You will begin by saying the Apostles’ Creed while holding the crucifix.

Then pray the three Hail Marys, the Glory Be, the first Mystery and the Our Father. Then proceed on to each decade of Hail Marys.**

**Each Mystery is said on a particular day (Sunday, Glorious; Monday, Joyful; Tuesday, Sorrowful; Wednesday, Glorious; Thursday, Luminous; Friday, Sorrowful; and Saturday, Joyful).

You will notice that each Mystery is a step in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. You meditate on the Mystery.

Just think for a moment on what the Mystery is about. That is all that is required.

You end the Rosary by praying the Hail Holy Queen.

Praying one decade of the Rosary will take about fifteen minutes.**

I have a number of videos that I use at times when I am home - it helps with distraction.:slight_smile:

Also, I have been using for many, many years the little booklet entitled “The Spriptual Rosary” which has a short phrase to use on each Hail Mary bead.

Please, just try not to intellecualize praying the Rosary; just say it from the heart.:heaven::harp::

Again:

Anyway, with the Mysteries, do I recite the Bible passages mentioned?

It’s okay that you don’t quite get it yet. There was a point when I was becoming Catholic when I started praying the Rosary, but I still didn’t feel right doing it, so said to Mary “I don’t wnat to offend you, but I need to know if this is right”, and put it down for a few months. I had the same question: “why does Mary get so much honor?”

First of all, my friend, she is not to be given equality with God; that was Collyrideanism (sp.?), a heresy that the Church opposed in the 5th century. Catholics do not seek to deify the Blessed Virgin; only to honor her as Jesus did; as our mother. In Catholic understanding, Christ gave His mother to us from the cross when He said to John (representing the Church) “behold your mother”. Obviously, Jesus obeyed the fourth commandment “honor your father and your mother”, so the honor He gave to her should now be given by us.

Of course, though, Mary has no power on her own. She is, however, a profound instrument of grace. This is because God allowed her to assist in bringing salvation - in the form of Jesus - to the world. Her prayers are very powerfull because she is the mother of our Lord, and as such, she is the Queen of Heaven (in Jewish culture, the King’s mother was the Queen). Mary is the fullfillment of the Ark of the Covenant. The Ark had the tablets of the law, the staff of the high priest, and the manna in the desert inside of it; Mary had the Lawgiver, the High Priest Himself, and the Bread of Life inside of her. The Ark truely had no power on its own either, but God used it to bring His Grace to Isreal.

To get closer to the Theotokos, the Mother of God, does not take away from Christ, but rather deepens it. Mary wants only to lead others to her Son, and so she prays for us, and we ask for her prayers. The Rosary is truely the “prayer of the Gospels” because as you pray, you are to meditate on the mysteries; it is not repeating “empty words”, it is constantly mulling over an important point.

All in all, Mary is important… only because her Son is so much more important.

If you want to. But mostly the point is to simply think about, or “Meditate” on them as you pray the Our Father’s and Hail Mary’s.

So I’m supposed to announce the mysteries, read the passages, and then meditate on them when saying Our Fathers and Hail Marys?

You don’t have to read the passages, or you can read them before hand, and then pray the Rosary, or you can pray the Rosary and the read the passages, or…

When it’s being said in a group, the mysteries are announced before the Our Father at the beginning of a decade; on your own, you don’t need to. But yes, you should meditate on them while saying the prayers. Remember that Jesus doesn’t condemn repetitious prayer (see psalm 136), only prayers that are of “empty words”.

I think it could be argued that the Rosary, while repetitious, consists of neither vain nor long prayers.

God condemned traditions of men too. Not every tradition is of man and not every repetition is vain.

In one of her private revelations to St. Dominic. Seeing as it’s a private revelation, and not part of the public revelation of the Church (Scripture, Tradition, Magisterium), you don’t have to believe it. But I’ve never seen those promises broken with people in my own life who recited the rosary daily.

Personally, the rosary is one of the harder prayers I’ve recited. I mean, I’m fifteen, and my attention span and maturity aren’t that great. It’s hard for me to focus. Sometimes, when praying the rosary, my mind just wanders… This is why I think someone who “devoutly” prays the rosary often necessarily must have a degree of self-discipline that I lack.

TristanCross,

you don’t need to read any Biblical passages at all when praying the Rosary - you must just meditate on the Mystery.

Let me give you an example. Do you know who Mother Angelica is?

On one of Mother Angelica’s programs she said that her favorite Mystery is the “Agony in the Garden.” When she comes to that Mystery she just imagines herself next to Jesus while He is praying and suffering and she puts her hand on His shoulder to comfort Him. I thought that image was beautiful.

That is what meditation is - simply put yourself next to Jesus.

I recently discovered this great program. It’s a huge help in praying the rosary and not just for beginners. You can download it or use it online. It is so very helpful in meditating/picturing the mysteries because it gives a picture for every bead - not just one per decade. And the pictures include a great mix of classical and modern art, movie screenshots and photography. And the prayers themselves are right there on the screen as well, so you don’t have to have them memorized. And if you do, you can opt to have the pictures shown without the prayers. Because you click yourself through the whole thing you can’t get confused as to the right order. Try it - you will love it! :thumbsup:

angelfire.com/realm/klossg0/view_PicBeads.htm

I am not sure that sitting at a computer clicking through the Mysteries of the Rosary using a mouse is conducive to truly meditating on the Mysteries. Just waiting for the change of pictures would surely be distracting, especially for someone new to the practice of praying the Rosary.:nope:

I have found though several DVDs very helpful. You select the day of the week so that you pray the proper Mystery and follow the lead of the people praying the Rosary.

Or, tune into EWTN and join Mother Angelica and the Nuns in praying the Rosary.:nun2: Or, the International Rosary is prayed every day on EWTN after the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy.

:harp:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.