How do I pray?

Hello all,

My darling mother was recently diagnosed with lung cancer which has possibly spread to her breast. Here in the UK things move very slowly in the national health service so we are still waiting for some results from tests for her full diagnosis and treatment options. However, at her initial consultation the consultant insinuated that there was very little that could be done apart from perhaps chemo to prolong her life.

Anyway, my mum is a Catholic devotee and has been since her teens (she is 66.) She was working up until earlier this year, she was a nurse so she wouldn’t always have time to pray daily but she would go to church as often as she could, pray privately at home and she would also try and go to Lourdes ever year. She is also a St. Pio devotee, she adores him.

She always encouraged me and my older brother to pray as we were growing up, but i guess we thought it was ‘uncool’ although I would always say prayers when I had exams, job interviews etc.

Since my mum has become sick, she is quite angry at God and St Pio, although I know she does still have faith as she says ‘this is all in Gods hands now.’

Since she got ill about 6 weeks ago I have started praying. I have been praying the rosary everyday along with a youtube audio, and also praying to her beloved Padre Pio. There is nothing else I can do to help her but to pray.

Is there anything else I should be doing or any particular prayers I should be praying or routines? I know there is no right or wrong way to pray, but it’d be nice to know if there are any particularly beautiful prayers I should be praying.

I am so sorry if I am asking stupid questions but I am new to this, I don’t want to ask my mum as she might get upset.

Unfortunately my mum can’t walk very well at the moment without assistance and as the only girl in the house i need to be with her to help her in the toilet and with bathing,otherwise i would love to go to Lourdes to pray.

Thanks in advance

I pray that God give you, your mother and your family both comfort and strength in the coming days, weeks, months, as you navigate this terrible illness.

God bless you for your prayers. Just keep doing what you’re doing, and if you’d like to add some specific prayers to the patron saint of cancer patients, it is St. Peregrine:
ewtn.com/Devotionals/novena/peregrine.htm
ourcatholicprayers.com/prayers-to-st-peregrine.html

A Novena is a prayer said daily for 9 days (or hourly, for 9 hours).

You can adjust the words as needed; they aren’t written in stone, for these two prayers.

You can also use the wonderful app for your phone, Laudate, for prayers and daily readings. It’s for iPhone and Android. I use it for different Rosaries on occasion, plus there is also the beautiful Divine Mercy (one of my favorites). You can also find it on YouTube and EWTN.

God bless all of you.
xoxo

I am very sorry to hear about you mum’s illness and I will remember her in my prayer.

You said that you are praying the rosary but you didn’t mention about receiving the sacraments, especially reconciliation. If this hasn’t been done, this is the best way to make your prayers effective for your mother. And it would make your mother very happy as well.

But one thing that might be a great solace to you is that your mother sounds like a person who loves Jesus and Mary. Because then everything else will work out the best for her. You are fortunate for that.

If it were my mother I would pin the miraculous medal to her pillow. There is always a chance that Mary might answer with a miracle similar to one at Cana in the bible.

May you and your mum experience God’s love and peace.

Hi ac1981,

I am so sorry that your Mom is dealing with cancer right now. It is very difficult, watching a parent deal with cancer. :frowning: It seems like you are doing the best that you can for your Mom right now, which is giving her as much support as you can.

Prayers said for you, your Mom and your family. May God bless all of you, during this stressful time for you.

Speaking of Lourdes, I am posting a link to the Lourdes website for you in France, so that you can leave a prayer petition there if you would like to do that. :slight_smile:

Here is a link to their website:

en.lourdes-france.org/praying

Keep praying just as you’re doing now. Sometimes it’s all anyone can do. None of us know what God’s plan is, or why he allows certain things to happen. The only thing we do know is that it’s all in his hands. He has a plan.
Encourage your mother to go to confession. She should be going often. It’s hard to accept, since she’s suffering horribly, but God has given her a gift if she is truly nearing he time. He’s given her advance warning to get herself in order. To make herself clean with reconciliation. To forgive those she needs to forgive. To spend more time in prayer thanking God for her many blessings.

I’m sorry she’s suffering, that you’re all suffering. I will keep you and your family in my prayers when I recite my rosaries.

God bless you!

Prayer is an individual practice and devotion unless you are going to church and are involved in the sacraments. I think you have made a good start 'though. So it is kind of hard to tell someone how or when to pray in private. I do have just this one suggestion; make a list of all your blessings and for all good things in your life, esp. having your mother. Then Thank God for all the blessings that you and your family have received. When Jesus was asked by His apostles about how to pray He taught them this; Our Father who art in Heaven…you know the rest.

It often confounds me how so many pray when they want something such as “help me pass my test” or need something material rather than spiritual. We should be praying "Thank you God for all that you have blessed me with and any blessings in the future. This is just a general observation and don’t think I mean it to apply for you family and situation.

For you, do ask for your mother and family as you are praying for them and do Thank God for and all His answers. “Ask and you will receive.”
P. S. I know what you are going through; I’ve been there. Peace and prayers for you and your family.

I am saddened to hear of your difficult time. It sounds to me that you are doing everything possible for your mum at this testing time. Keep praying for her and with her. I will be praying for you and your mum, I pray that your mum will continue in faith and gain strength and hope from her relationship with God and St Padre Pio.

God bless you both and your wider family also.

Praying to St. Peregrine for your Mother’s health & recovery. Praying for the intentions of you & your family.

I recommend two good books by Peter Kreeft:

Prayer For Beginners
Prayer: The Great Conversation

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.