How do I rebutt these hate of Mother Theresa?

Some one hated her posted this on another MSGBRD, it’a horrible to say the least…

saintmychal.com/hitchens.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism

I too was appalled at the article.I wrote an e-mail to the editor of the website expressing my dismay.

Peace be with you!

This guy has no credentials whatsoever to write anything about Mother Theresa…the man writes for Vanity Fair, for crying out loud!

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=Valtiel]Some one hated her posted this on another MSGBRD, it’a horrible to say the least…

[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism](“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism”)
[/quote]

Hitchens has written a much longer attack of Mother Teresa in book called “The Missionary Position” I admire Mother Teresa very much but I read the book anyway because I wanted to understand Hitchens and it was a struggle but what I decided is that Hitchens has no faith in the Divine and so he cannot understand the motivation who does have such faith. He does not understand Mother Teresa or any of the people who admire her. I think he has a real problem with the British journalist, I can’t remember his name, who did a lot of very positve articles on Mother Teresa. I think it really bugs Hitchens, not that Mother Teresa did what she did, but that so many people admired her for it.

I have come terms to with the idea that Mother Teresa lacked some political savvy (so what) and probably didn’t know best how to put forward a public face that would not be so easily distorted.

I maintain my belief that she saw Christ in the poorest of the poor and set a worthy example for all who seek to do the same.

Hope this helps

peace

-Jim

What’s an easy way to get 15 minutes of fame? Attack someone or something that nearly everyone loves. How apropos that he writes for Vanity Fair as this is really about his own vanity. Ignore him…pray for his conversion.

If you had the resources you could dig up enough dirt on anyone to write a book that makes them look terrible. I would never want to read the book about me, I know.

Anyone can take the facts of someone’s life and make that person appear sinister. We can’t, however, determine what was in her heart.

I don’t think she was sinister anyway, no matter what conclusions the article makes.

[quote=trogiah]Hitchens has written a much longer attack of Mother Teresa in book called “The Missionary Position” I admire Mother Teresa very much but I read the book anyway because I wanted to understand Hitchens and it was a struggle but what I decided is that Hitchens has no faith in the Divine and so he cannot understand the motivation who does have such faith. He does not understand Mother Teresa or any of the people who admire her. I think he has a real problem with the British journalist, I can’t remember his name, who did a lot of very positve articles on Mother Teresa. I think it really bugs Hitchens, not that Mother Teresa did what she did, but that so many people admired her for it… . .
[/quote]

Jim, you’re thinking of the late Malcolm Muggeridge. Regarding Hitchens, he speaks of himself not as an atheist, but as an “anti-theist.” IOW, it’s not that he just doesn’t believe in God, but he is actively in opposition to the “idea of God” and those who hold such an “idea”, thus his virulency in attacking St. Teresa of Calcutta. :frowning:

[quote=Valtiel]Some one hated her posted this on another MSGBRD, it’a horrible to say the least…

[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism](“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism”)
[/quote]

One can only rebut what is untrue: if there are no untruths, and what is objectionable is the author’s opinion of her - well, we are all entitled to our opinions. If he has his facts right, and not distorted them, there is nothing to rebut.

Criticising someone or something is a long way from hating them, or it. No one is obliged to regard Mother Teresa as a holy person: the evidence for that may not be persuasive for them; it may even point in a different direction.

From the Wikipedia article:
[list]
*]“While for some, Teresa was the embodiment of a “living saint,” others such as Christopher Hitchens, who believed her to be “a fanatic, a fundamentalist, and a fraud,” have raised questions about her public statements, working practices, political connections, and funding.”
[/list]Raising such questions is perfectly fair - Hitchens’ tone may be harsh, but that is not an objection to what he says; only to how he says it. And objecting to him, does not let her off the hook: for either his criticisms are well-founded - or they are not. Beatification is no guarantee that the person beatified has never made serious blunders or done wrong; nor is canonisation. ##

It’s Teresa, not Theresa.

Sorry; it bothers me.

[quote=cardenio]It’s Teresa, not Theresa.

Sorry; it bothers me.
[/quote]

That’s two of us :slight_smile:

Funny how Hitchens reports the dollar ammount of the donations, yet never once tells the reader what she did with the money.

Mother Teresa was a great woman.

Mother Teresa still cleaned the toilets at her convent, until she could no longer do it.

The sisters at her convent make you take off your shoes at Mass. “Unlace your boots, you’re standing on Holy Ground”.

They have a saying attached to a plaque as the chief enters the church before Mass. “Priest, say this Mass as if it was your first Mass. Say this Mass as it if was your last Mass.”

This was a woman of Faith!

Notworthy

The author of the first link/article stated something to the effect of,
“the money from the Nobel Peace prize alone would have been more than enough,” to help Mother Teresa run her hospital.

I thought the prize money for the Nobel Peace award was one million dollars. It takes my church over seven thousand dollars a week to run, and that is without having to care for, feed, and provide a hospital for the poor. That money wouldn’t have lasted a year!

I know we should just “let it go”, the ignorance of the man, but still, just thinking of all of the work that goes into just running any type of organization, and not doing it for profit, makes Mother Teresa better than any CEO on the planet. All of her other works make her a saint.

Gee, can’t wait for him to write about Pope John Paul II :rolleyes:

well this post has been inactive for a year and a half there are still a couple things id like to mention. First of all that first website from what i could see was just a gay agenda sight their st Mychal was a liberal priest a member of dignity(gay “catholic” group) Who apparently was also a homosexual himself (though I’m not sure if an active one) but basicly the common thread seems to be a hate of the church. I get upset that these people try to destroy her legacy this woman gave her entire life over to caring for the poorest of the poor giving them someone to be with them when they died and trying to ease their anguish Its possible that their care could have been better but i highly doubt youll see any of these critics coming close to doing what this holy woman did. but all that being said, you know what? It doesnt matter one bit what any one says about her this is what we have to expect as disciples, you give youre life and someone only tries to say well you coulda done more, however these people arent her judge, her judge is the one who judges as we have judged, and Teresa was merciful she saw Jesus in people and ministered to him any way she had a beautiful saying which i believe was posted in her room
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Suceed anyway
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you’ve got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God: It was never between you and them anyway.

As much as it bothers all of us when this happens Im sure that she would not have cared all that much.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.