How do I repent as a Catholic?

Can someone show me bible verses on repentance? I’d like to know how and what I should repent. Must I feel sorrow? Or must I have a change of heart to overcome temptation and fight my sin with God? ! 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I want to change and I’m fighting my sexual sin. I know I’m a sinner and I’m in need of Jesus as my savior. I want to obey his will. Am I repentant?

Like John the Baptist said when he proclaimed “Repent, turn away from your sin!”

ccc 1431: ‘Interior repentance is a radical reorientation of our whole life, a return, a conversion to God with all our heart, an end of sin, a turning away from evil, with repugnance toward the evil actions we have committed. At the same time it entails the desire and resolution to change one’s life, with hope in God’s mercy and trust in the help of his grace. This conversion of heart is accompanied by a salutary pain and sadness which the Fathers called animi cruciatus (affliction of spirit) and compunctio cordis (repentance of heart).’

Look up the story of the prodigal son. Was his repentence perfect? In large part, it was about self preservation. I think as we come before God, offering our wills to Him, over time He gives us a greater sense of the true nature and effect of sin, how it divides us from Him and his infinite love, and how it damages our ability to selflessly love others as He commanded. Initially, it might be mostly an intellectual recognition that it is wrong and a sincere vow to change. Or, we might see some negative result of sin in the natural realm that registers with us, and makes us want to pursue an alternate path. I don’t think we always need perfect contrition, because most times we are not capable of that. But we do need to pledge that we will strive to avoid this sin going forward. I have struggled with some repetive sins myself in my life. And I have also had this same question as you - am I sorry enough? Sorry enough for God to forgive me, yes, I have come to believe this. But I need to change on a deeper level, and this is an ongoing process, opening my soul up to His grace to truly change me, submitting areas of weakness to Him.
Turning our wills over to God is not easy.

So I’d say yes, turn toward God in confession, repenting of your sins, and accept His mercy. And don’t beat yourself up that you may not “feel” sorry enough. Take heart that God forgives you. But know that this is just the beginning of a journey of conversion. Lay these sins and failings before the foot of the cross - and seek a deeper conversion of your will to God’s. Prayer, sacraments, fellowship with other Christians (including the Saints too!), and spiritual reading/materials too. I have EWTN radio in my car, and I can’t tell how much that has really helped me. As your soul truly becomes more God-oriented, I think there will be more of a “feeling” of sorrow for sins.

Since I’ve had the same question as you, I wanted to share my thoughts and experiences - but I am interested in what others might say too.

go to confession, easy fix.

have you had the sacraments , including the Eucharist and Reconcilliation and confirmation

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

The Sacrament of Reconciliation is being described right there! :+1:

Just go to Confession - you can discuss all these issues with a priest who can immediately release you of your sins and counsel you in your new, fresh life.

God is the Father of Mercies,
Deacon Christopher

"All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; " - 2 Corinthians 5:18

Yes.

“Oh my God, I am truly sorry for my sin, and because you are so good, with your help, I will try not to sin again.”

That is the principle of repentance. Acknowledge your sin, feel remorse about it, confess it, and decide not to sin again.

In practical term, repentance involves a one hundred and eighty degrees about turn. Change your life direction, from one which led you to sin, to one that brings you away from it. That may involve a life of prayers, receiving the Sacraments, work of mercy and evangelisation, depending on where it suits you.

I’m preparing for confirmation at the moment. I often don’t have a ride to mass every week and it doesn’t help my situation

patience is a good thing. are you a major yet or still a minor :slight_smile:

I’m still a minor

Ask your Confirmation teacher to arrange for a priest to hear your confession during the next class. He/she will be thrilled to do it!

Have you had the Sacrament of Reconcilliation yet

Sept 2018 We are entering the so-called high holy days in Judaism when all Jews are called on to repent, if they have not done so. Jews are supposed to go around to all those they have sinned against and beg for forgiveness. Only then can they properly approach God on Yom Kippur, the day of atonement, to ask for forgiveness.

In their faith, repentance (teshuvah, google it – yeah quite a good wikipedia discussion of this) can be even that “oh, no” moment when we realize that they have sinned. Repentance can be done at any time but they are called to it now if they have not repented during the preceding year.

Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? like the obligation to confess our sins at least once a year, but during the Easter season.

They observe a complete fast on YK much like Catholics still partially fast and abstain on Good Friday. Repentance is a moment when we first decide to turn back to God.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.