How do I tell the company I applied to?

Hi. I got a job offer from company A and accepted it. afternall, i have been praying for a job. now, company B called up, inviting me for an interview. i wasn't able to think well, haven't told them i accepted a job offer elsewhere. this will be the thirdminterview for company B.

how do I tell Company B politely that i am unable to pursue my application with them, bec. i have accepted an offer elsewhere? i am interested to work with them, but it is the timing, company A offered me the job first. and there is no assurance that i will get the job at B. thanks.

It's very simple. Just tell the boss. You have a moral obligation to tell them just as soon as you accept another position. Unless you're going to play your cards by trying to see if there is a chance to stay. Don't play games. Everybody is replaceable. So if you intend to continue taking the new job, it's up to you to tell your boss, unless you don't care for a future reference, which is very unprofessional. The professional thing to do is tell your current employer you intentions to take the new position. However, if then they insist you go on the interview and make an offer, make it clear than you must do it ASAP. Don't get caught in the middle, unemployment lane. I did that once, and took a job that paid about $20K more. My name was mud after that, but the new job put me in a better position for future employment in the field of Civil Engineering instead of GIS and Urban Planning. I needed a change and it worked for me. But choose carefully how you play this game.

thanks for the reply. Actually, I’m not employed right now.

it’s just that company A gave the job offer first. With Company B, my application is still in process, going through exams, interviews.

Thank company B for their consideration, courtesy, and whatever. Tell them that you have accepted an offer from another organization. Done.

Congratulations on the job! When it rains it pours. Next time, don't pray so hard :eek:

Company B may learn that they should streamline their interview process.

If you like company B more simply call up the HR officer and tell them

"I have been offered a position at company A. They are offering me x. However, I very much like your company and was wondering if you would be able to make me an offer at this time."

They may say "good bye and good luck" or they may make you an offer.

What MtnDweller said. After spending years in HR, my advice is -- never burn your bridges. I've seen it happen too many times.

If Company B is a decent place to work for, they'll understand. If if upsets them, you probably dodged a bullet by getting the other offer first.

Have had a similar experience. Thank God you have so many opportunities. Thank Company B for the opportunity/consideration and tell them between the time you submitted your application and now, you have accepted another offer.

If you have a friend that needs employment, it might be a good time to put in a good word or point them to Company B. Job opportunities are not a plentiful as they use to be.

I had to smile at "next time don't pray so hard." But do recall "10 were healed so where are the other nine?"

Thanks for the replies. So I called up Company B and told them that I accepted elsewhere, thanking them for their time and consideration etc.

Yes, when it rains it pours. While I was applying and waiting for companies to call, I felt anxious and worried. Then suddenly they start calling at the same time. It's a pity, as I'm also interested in Company B, but their processing just took too long. Company B is known to hold several interviews before a candidate could get hired, if that happens. :shrug:

[quote="newbetx, post:7, topic:249163"]
Have had a similar experience. Thank God you have so many opportunities. Thank Company B for the opportunity/consideration and tell them between the time you submitted your application and now, you have accepted another offer.

If you have a friend that needs employment, it might be a good time to put in a good word or point them to Company B. Job opportunities are not a plentiful as they use to be.

I had to smile at "next time don't pray so hard." But do recall "10 were healed so where are the other nine?"

[/quote]

[quote="fin, post:8, topic:249163"]
Thanks for the replies. So I called up Company B and told them that I accepted elsewhere, thanking them for their time and consideration etc.

Yes, when it rains it pours. While I was applying and waiting for companies to call, I felt anxious and worried. Then suddenly they start calling at the same time. It's a pity, as I'm also interested in Company B, but their processing just took too long. Company B is known to hold several interviews before a candidate could get hired, if that happens. :shrug:

[/quote]

When I usually applied in the past I would put in 5 apps and get 4 offers.

You did the right thing. When you were just APPLYING elsewhere, you had every right to continue seeking other employment. However, when you accepted with company A you stopped THEIR employee seeking process and began paperwork to add you to their payroll. At this point, you owe them (before even your first day of work) the same loyalty as any other employee.

I would hope that you told company B that you’ll consider them for future employment if you think that it will be in the best interest of their company and you in the future and that you hope they succeed in finding a great candidate for the job!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.