How Do I Tell This Too My Priest?

Ok first off not too sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes.
So I’m 16 and my priest said about me going to the youth club on Friday evenings for an hour and a half, so I went today but there aren’t any other boys my age, there were 2 young lads one aged 11 and the other I do not know but I guess around the same age.
I mean I played some table tennis, darts and a bit of snooker but in the end I didn’t really have that much fun to be honest.
I mean just didn’t really talk much to people but at the end of the evening I was asked whether I will be going next week in which I answered maybe but in all honestly I don’t want too go again.
But how do I tell my priest that I don’t want to go to the club I mean I don’t want to insult him or make him feel bad but I just don’t want to go.
I would be lying if I said it was horrible, and I would be lying if I said it was great, it was alright but I just don’t want to go again the club.
So what do I do just tell him straight that I didn’t really enjoy it and I don’t want to go or?

Any Advice?

Don’t tell him, he’ll chop your head off. :eek:

I wouldn’t tell your priest that it was awful. That might hurt his feelings. Going to a club meeting isn’t like going to Mass, you don’t have an obligation to go. Maybe you can find a nearby parish that has a youth group with people your age in it?

If you really don’t want to go, just tell your priest that you appreciate his effort to make these meetings fun, but you’re not really interested. I spend my Friday evenings praying the rosary and the Liturgy of the Hours.

I don’t think he would be offended if you told him that you’re not really interested. You’re a teenager. Have fun and enjoy life.

Simply say, “thank you for the invitation, maybe another time.”

Short and to the point; I concur! :slight_smile:

“Sorry Father, there wasn’t anyone my age there, so it wasn’t any fun. But thanks for thinking of me!”

Always be honest …

Father: Are you going to club again?

You: No I’m not planing on it.

Father: Why not?

You: I had an ok time - but I just don’t care to go back.

There’s always the chance though that if you go back, you WILL have fun. Maybe different people will be there? I’d give it one more try before writing it off.

The only contribution I would make to this thread is that maybe the Priest is trying to increase attendance and he gave you a personal invitation for a reason (maybe you would be a good example for younger children or maybe he knows you can invite more teenagers your age)…

Why can’t you tell your priest just what you’re telling us: that the experience was not so great because there weren’t any boys your own age? At the same time, you can thank him for his invitation. I’m sure he will understand that and not be offended. At the same time, maybe he’ll offer another suggestion.

I think when you get to be an adult, you sort of forget just how big of an age gap 5 years is.

I agree that you should your priest that you wish there were people your own age there. Try to invite some of your friends along with you next time. :slight_smile:

You mentioned there weren’t any boys there your age? What about girls?

Well just be honest with him. Tell him you thank him for the invitation but you felt out of place. explain to him, there weren’t any kids your age. basically tell him what you told us.

Another possibility–you could invite others your own age, especially your friends, to come with you. Maybe talk to the priest about things your group might be interested in–help make it a better place to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.