How do I understand invincible ignorance?

I recently learned of this term. Based on my understanding, if a non-Catholic is aware of the teachings of the Catholic Church and learns it is the one true Church yet fails to convert, they will not reach salvation. Am I correct in this interpretation? And furthermore, what makes a person go from Invincibly Ignorant to the exact opposite where they are facing damnation? I feel as though if a person truly believes it is the one true church, then how can they make the decision not to convert? How many people are really running around thinking, yes, the Catholic Church is the one true church, but I’m going to go ahead and not get on board with that so I can go to hell instead? It seems like a term that is so open to interpretation and contains so many loopholes, that I don’t know how to dissect it, and it’s been heavy on my mind for the last few days.

The following links should help you better understand Church teaching on salvation. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Salvation Outside of the Church
Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
What is invincible ignorance?
Islamics - Hindus- Buddhists - saved without Christian Faith??

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.