How do Jehovah's Witnessess deal with John 6:46?

" Not that any man has seen the Father, except he who is from God; this one has seen the Father." NWT

Even their bible says, No “man” has seen the Father.

Ok, we know that there were times in the old testment when people saw God in some form.

Exodus 3

3And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

4And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

5And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

6Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

Exodus 6:2-3

2And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:

3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Numbers 12:8

8With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

Genesis 32:30
And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Judges 13:22
And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.

And, we are told by Jesus that they did not see the Father!!!

John 6:46 (King James Version)

Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Therefore, they either saw the Son of God or saw the Holy Spirit.

We are plainly told that rock that went around in the desert with isreal and moses was the Messiah.

1 Corinthians 10:4 (King James Version)

And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Bottom Line, no one at anytime has saw God the Father,

in fact we are told that,

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Thus John 6 modifies our understanding of John 1:18, thus we know from these two sayings of Jesus, that people before Jesus never saw God the Father, and since we know for sure that the rock was Christ, it is likely that those who did see God in the old testament really saw the Son of God.

Psalm 2:12 (King James Version)
Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament

And the LORD said unto Moses,
Take thee Joshua the son of Nun,
a man in whom is the spirit,
and lay thine hand upon him
Numbers 27:18 KJV

And Joshua the son of Nun
was full of the spirit of wisdom;
for Moses had laid his hands upon him:
and the children of Israel hearkened unto him,
and did as the LORD commanded Moses.
Deuteronomy 34:9 KJV

If no one has seen God the Father in the OT, then they must have seen either the Holy Spirit or the Son of God.

Excellent post, my friend !!
I am in the office and don’t have a bible with me,
but a scene in scripture that jumped out at me one night while I was reading the Gospel of John is when the Temple Guards - Jews - show up with Judas to arrest Jesus, and they ask for Jesus of Nazareth. Now some Bibles have Jesus saying,
“I Am he” at the arrest, but most have Jesus saying simply,
“I Am” to the Temple Guards. And what happens when Jesus says, “I Am” to the Temple Guards ?
The WHOLE LOT of them draw back and fall to the ground !!

Now there is a reason for that.
The actual Hebrew name for God - Yahweh - which means
"I AM" was not pronounced by the Jews. But on special occasions, the High Priest would go into the holy place in the temple. When he would come back out, he would pronounce the Name of God (Yahweh or I AM), and all present would fall to the ground in Worship.

The Temple Guards fell to the ground when Jesus said, I AM.

Simply put, Jesus pronounced the name of God at his arrest.
And since he was identifying himself, this is another indication from Scripture that Jesus (along with the Father and Holy Spirit)
is actually Yahweh.

God bless,
Jaypeeto3 (aka Jaypeeto4)

Revelation 1:8 (King James Version)
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Thank You

I found that Jesus only will at first say that the old testament mode of God was that of the Father. When you show them John 6:46, they then say, “oh Jesus is God in the OT”.

slippery bunch.

But, they can’t get around the “face to face” argument of John 1:1b The Word Was face to face with God indicating two persons.

Any greek lexicon will verifly that “with” in the greek means “face to face” here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.