How do other Abrahamic Religions perceive the afterlife?

Many different religions have different views on what happens after we die. There is even difference amongst abrahamic religions. This question is to gain information on how other religions perceive the afterlife.

How is the afterlife perceived in Judaism?

How is the afterlife perceived in Islam?

How is the afterlife perceived in Protestant sects?

How is the afterlife perceived in Mormonism?

Great topic :slight_smile:

From the Writings of Baha’u’llah:

*And now concerning thy question regarding the soul of man and its survival after death. Know thou of a truth that the soul, after its separation from the body, will continue to progress until it attaineth the presence of God, in a state and condition which neither the revolution of ages and centuries, nor the changes and chances of this world, can alter. It will endure as long as the Kingdom of God, His sovereignty, His dominion and power will endure. It will manifest the signs of God and His attributes, and will reveal His loving kindness and bounty. The movement of My Pen is stilled when it attempteth to befittingly describe the loftiness and glory of so exalted a station.

The honor with which the Hand of Mercy will invest the soul is such as no tongue can adequately reveal, nor any other earthly agency describe. Blessed is the soul which, at the hour of its separation from the body, is sanctified from the vain imaginings of the peoples of the world. Such a soul liveth and moveth in accordance with the Will of its Creator, and entereth the all-highest Paradise. The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds. If any man be told that which hath been ordained for such a soul in the worlds of God, the Lord of the throne on high and of earth below, his whole being will instantly blaze out in his great longing to attain that most exalted, that sanctified and resplendent station…

The nature of the soul after death can never be described, nor is it meet and permissible to reveal its whole character to the eyes of men. The Prophets and Messengers of God have been sent down for the sole purpose of guiding mankind to the straight Path of Truth. The purpose underlying their revelation hath been to educate all men, that they may, at the hour of death, ascend, in the utmost purity and sanctity and with absolute detachment, to the throne of the Most High. The light which these souls radiate is responsible for the progress of the world and the advancement of its peoples. They are like unto leaven which leaveneth the world of being, and constitute the animating force through which the arts and wonders of the world are made manifest. Through them the clouds rain their bounty upon men, and the earth bringeth forth its fruits. All things must needs have a cause, a motive power, an animating principle. These souls and symbols of detachment have provided, and will continue to provide, the supreme moving impulse in the world of being.

The world beyond is as different from this world as this world is different from that of the child while still in the womb of its mother. When the soul attaineth the Presence of God, it will assume the form that best befitteth its immortality and is worthy of its celestial habitation. Such an existence is a contingent and not an absolute existence, inasmuch as the former is preceded by a cause, whilst the latter is independent thereof. Absolute existence is strictly confined to God, exalted be His glory. Well is it with them that apprehend this truth. Wert thou to ponder in thine heart the behavior of the Prophets of God thou wouldst assuredly and readily testify that there must needs be other worlds besides this world. The majority of the truly wise and learned have, throughout the ages, as it hath been recorded by the Pen of Glory in the Tablet of Wisdom, borne witness to the truth of that which the holy Writ of God hath revealed. Even the materialists have testified in their writings to the wisdom of these divinely-appointed Messengers, and have regarded the references made by the Prophets to Paradise, to hell fire, to future reward and punishment, to have been actuated by a desire to educate and uplift the souls of men.

Consider, therefore, how the generality of mankind, whatever their beliefs or theories, have recognized the excellence, and admitted the superiority, of these Prophets of God. These Gems of Detachment are acclaimed by some as the embodiments of wisdom, while others believe them to be the mouthpiece of God Himself. How could such Souls have consented to surrender themselves unto their enemies if they believed all the worlds of God to have been reduced to this earthly life? Would they have willingly suffered such afflictions and torments as no man hath ever experienced or witnessed?*

Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh (Wilmette: Bahá’í Publishing Trust, 1983), LXXIII, pp. 155-158

In Judaism, there is considerable latitude concerning the afterlife, everything from heaven, purgatory, and hell as a separation from G-d, to the annihilation of the soul in the case of truly evil people, to reincarnation, particularly for those holy people who have not completed their study of Torah. The reason for this disparity of viewpoints is that the afterlife is not spelled out in the Torah, and in fact it is a topic that is not and should not be speculated upon much by Jews. The focus of Judaism is the present life, worshiping G-d through His commandments, and attempting to do G-d’s will by caring for others and repairing the world.

YOU ARE SO İNTEREST İN OTHER RELİGİONS!

Afterlife is three sections Paradise, Purgatory and Hell. If some’s good deeds and sins are equal that will go in purgatory. Unbelievers will go Hell unending. Some believers whose sins are more than good deeds(if God would not forgive) will go Hell to pay for their sins after that they will go in Paradise. Believers who have good deeds will go in Paradise. Humanbeing will get it’s flesh and body in afterlife either in Paradise or in Hell. And there are many descriptions for Paradise and Hell in Quran and in Hadiths but it takes so long .

According to Islam, unbelievers who do good deeds will still go to hell?

Reincarnation! I never knew this was a belief of the Jewish faith. You learn something new everyday.

Do you have any scripture in the O.T. that brings you to come to this conclusion? Just wondering.

Hello,

Moses spent 40 years in close communion with God.  IMO since during all of that time, since no information was provided with regards to the afterlife, we need to assume that 

God, (for his own reasons), chose not to tell us what the afterlife was like. If God chooses not to tell us, that means there is no way anyone can know for sure, therefore, none of God’s special mouth pieces, whether it be the OT prophets, apostles, popes, Mohamed, Martin Luther, or Joseph Smith knew about what the afterlife is like.

Growing up as a Pentecostal, heaven was described to us as one big, never-ending church service. Considering all of the screaming and rolling around on the floor that happened during our church services, little wonder I never found it attractive.

It is important to learn about what other people believe, as the inevitable comparisons make you think about your own beliefs.

I do have some questions.

First off, what type of Muslim are you? I may be wrong, but I’m assuming that a Sunni Muslim looks at things differently than an Shiite or a Khawarii or a Sufi would.

Secondly, how does Islam (or your branch of Islam if the answer is different depending on which denomination you ask) define a believer?
For example, there are people who believe only part of their religion’s teachings, or who only believe it halfheartedly, or adhere to a different denomination of the same religion.

Thirdly, what does Islam teach happens to Virtuous Infidels (non-Muslims who are still good people)?

Yes. The main reason of going to hell is the rejection of existence of God. The good deeds of unbelievers could help them in Hell but could not help to rescue them from Hell. İn fact the most important and highest fact and deed is believing in God. Believing in God is the best deed. If some have the belief but equally have some bad deeds then God may forgive or if not at least that can rescue from Hell after paying for bad deeds.

The deeds relate to intents. An unbeliever does not intent to do good deeds for sake of God bot maybe for sake of himself and for sake of benefactions of earth. So for afterlife without for sake of God the good deeds do not redeem much.

But wouldn’t it seem a bit unfair when you consider that some people may have lived their whole life without even learning the existence of God?

For example, the people in the link below probably have no idea what the Koran even is.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncontacted_peoples

Anyway, it is interesting that your religion holds that hell can be escaped.

You say that a Muslim who did bad things can escape from hell after learning his lesson; would an unbeliever be able to escape from hell if he converted while there?

Upon death the body enters the grave and the spirit enters the spirit world. The spirit world is here on the earth but on another plane of existence. The spirit world is a place between death and resurrection. In the spirit world there are two divisions, paradise and prison. Based on our mortal life and how our actions effect our spirit a person enters into one or the other. Those in prison allowed the desires of the natural man to control them during their earthly sojourn. Such desires are carried into the spirit world. In this sense they remain in “prison” until they turn to God and follow the spirit of the Lord.

While in the spirit world the righteous preach the gospel to those in prison. When prepared, and when the Lord allows, those in paradise are resurrected. Their earthly body is glorified, and their spirit and body reunite never to be divided again. At the resurrection they obtain a kingdom of glory based on the works done in the flesh. There are many kingdoms in heaven but there are three grand divisions. One is represented by the glory of the sun (the celestial), another by the glory of the moon (the terestrial), and the last by the glory of the stars (telestial). All three kingdoms are more glorious than anything we experience here on earth.

After the resurrection their is eternal progression. The exact manner that this occurs is not known. But we do know that one key to that progression is our family. We desire nothing more than to live with them through all eternity and progress together with them to where God is now. We do not see ourselves as a different species from God but as his spirit children and because we are children we are heirs with him and may one day, perhaps far in the future, obtain all that he has.

I will also add the importance of proxy ordinance work in Mormon temples. In order for a spirit to leave “prison” and enter paradise prior to the resurrection, a proxy baptism must be performed for that person in a Mormon temple.

Mormon temple ordinances are also key to being able to enter into the celestial kingdom.

Sounds like he is saying that he does not know :slight_smile:

May I suggest reading this book: amazon.com/God-Speaks-Meher-Baba/dp/0915828022/

It is not easy reading but it should be a piece of cake for you, after going through all those thousands of tablets.

Thanks openmind.

I have a lot of time for Meher Baba :slight_smile:

There are a lot of things that were good that came from him. I don’t think however, as he claimed to be an Avatar, he was the Forgiver of Sins, the Source of Salvation.

Baha’u’llah was all of those. I think Meher Baba drew his inspiration from the Avatars such as Krishna, Jesus, and Baha’u’llah. This does not in any way lessen the reverence I hold towards Meher Baba, I am openminded (no pun intended lol) to his teachings except for reincarnation. (His reasoning for reincarnation in “God Speaks” is flawed in my humble opinion)

Please also don’t think that the passage I quoted from Baha’u’llah is the only Text on the subject of the afterlife. There are numerous things He exposed to humanity on this subject :slight_smile:

I think when He states that:

"The Maids of Heaven, inmates of the loftiest mansions, will circle around it, and the Prophets of God and His chosen ones will seek its companionship. With them that soul will freely converse, and will recount unto them that which it hath been made to endure in the path of God, the Lord of all worlds."

…it is incredibly touching, it pulls on my heart strings (not sure if does with yours :slight_smile: ) and it is an indication He knows “exactly” what will happen to us when we die.

Happy to dialogue and explore further if you, or anyone, wishes…

:slight_smile:

The Hidden Words of Baha’u’llah give some glimpses as well.

Hidden Words # 1 - info.bahai.org/article-1-3-2-8.html

1. O SON OF MAN!
    Thou art My dominion and My dominion perisheth not, wherefore fearest thou thy perishing? Thou art My light and My light shall never be extinguished, why dost thou dread extinction? Thou art My glory and My glory fadeth not; thou art My robe and My robe shall never be outworn. Abide then in thy love for Me, that thou mayest find Me in the realm of glory.

2. O SON OF THE SUPREME!
    I have made death a messenger of joy to thee. Wherefore dost thou grieve? I made the light to shed on thee its splendour. Why dost thou veil thyself therefrom?

Hidden Words # 2 - info.bahai.org/article-1-3-2-9.html

1. O COMPANION OF MY THRONE!
    Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh nor weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed. Live then the days of thy life, that are less than a fleeting moment, with thy mind stainless, thy heart unsullied, thy thoughts pure, and thy nature sanctified, so that, free and content, thou mayest put away this mortal frame, and repair unto the mystic paradise and abide in the eternal kingdom for evermore.

God Bless and Regards Tony

Religious responsibility related to notifying. If some hear or cognizance from lesson and teaching of a prophet(Mohammed, Jesus, Moses and all other prophets) then he has a responsibility. If some never hear about prophets and revelations then there is no responsibility for them, grace and mercy of God are so great.

When human depart the exam is finished so there is no return. What ı mean a sinful will pay in Hell then he can escape. But the penalty of rejection is the unending Hell. Good deeds of unbelievers may help for less suffer.

Would it be true to say within the Islamic faith, unbelief in Allah and acceptance of his prophet Mohammed warrant being sent to Hell?

Yes but in that conditions: If some learn the fact about Mohammed and then reject Mohammed then he has a responsibility. Sometimes Mohammed and Islam is introduced in a wrong way so that prevent people to learn the facts and so that condition maybe a excuse for them. That issue is controversial. God knows the best.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.