How do other Catholic forums on the Internet compare to this one?

How do other Catholic forums on the Internet compare to this one?

Are there any others you like? If yes, why?

Any you don’t like? If yes, why?

Do you wish for a forum that had some feature that none of the existing ones have?

thecatholicforum.org/

In my experience, this one is the best. I believe this is partly due to two reasons. First, the moderators will shut down bad threads. Second, the moderators will on occasion provide some good direction.

Other sites are not as high in quality.

:yup:

Fisheaters is a good traditionalist forum. Loads of information about devotions and practices too. I don’t post on their forum but visit it on occasion.

I suppose I would like a forum with less hostility, fewer personal stabs and jabs, more respect for the dignity of everyone, more civility, more giving the other person the benefit of the doubt that they are sincere are are trying to learn and understand.

I think most of us here would agree. Unfortunately, the bad behavior you describe is inherent to online comments posted under pseudonyms. And since CAF is so large, much larger than other Catholic forums, it inevitably feature more negative behavior, although the mods rush to curb them.

I’ve visited much smaller Catholic forums which always seem well-behaved. But they were sleepy places were few people posted, and those who did post tended to be the same inner circle.

CAF may not be ideal, but it really does seem to be the best out there. Its quality, ultimately, comes down to the moderators ensuring charitable discussion. I think they do a good job, but I also help them by reporting comments which obviously break rules on charity.

Seems to me CAF has many more personal problems posted, marital, sexual, sin, family and child issues, etc. That probably is because CAF has handy ways to post that stuff, such as “Catholic Living” or “Spirituality”. Other forums are more focused on discussions of the faith, Church happenings, news items, etc.

Other forums seem more “adult”. Seems CAF has alot of crybabies and thin-skinned, overly sensitive types. Hey, if you are going to post your views on the internet for 100’s to see, you better be prepared to get some replies you might not like or did not expect. That is the nature of an open forum.

On other forums, I see people get in arguments or the occasional contentious issue. But somewhere in the thread someone apologizes, or just drops out, and this is considered normal communication.

Here on CAF, someone barely implies an insult, perhaps unknowingly, and BAM! Report to the Moderator. These mods seem rather overbearing to me, and the people who complain quite childish with no real issue but to “get back” at the person who offended them. The mods should not be babysitters, but only intervene in serious matters. Let adults work out their own problems.

I am assuming there must be many young or immature people here, or that CAF somehow attracts emotional types who do not understand the nature of internet forums. Of course abuse should never be tolerated, but things that are mild and within the realm of polite conversation, but just a bit edgy or sarcastic, should not cause a fuss just because one person over-reacts.

thirstycatholics.com/forums/forum.php

Some of `em are so sleepy they offer you the option of sending you an email if someone responds to your post! Three months later…:smiley:

i agree. Dobbing in someone, except for foul or profane language, doesn`t seem right.

I am assuming there must be many young or immature people here, or that CAF somehow attracts emotional types who do not understand the nature of internet forums. Of course abuse should never be tolerated, but things that are mild and within the realm of polite conversation, but just a bit edgy or sarcastic, should not cause a fuss just because one person over-reacts.

im pretty thin-skinned but learned to be thick-skinned on these forums; and itd do others good to be the same.
ive copped a lot of sarcasm, etc. Big deal!!! im not going to run off and tell tales!!!

As a man, i`m prepared to fight like a man: with chivalry, but asking no quarter!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.