How do other religions view Jesus?

Christianity states that Jesus was the son of God.

What do non- christian religions (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism) believe Jesus is?

Islam and its branches: The 2nd most important prophet after Muhammad and the Son of Mary.
Judaism: A false prophet.

Judaism - False prophet

Islam - A prophet only, certainly not the Son of God. According to Islam an imposter was crucified in Jesus’ place and he ran and hid. No passion, death and resurrection and therefor no redemption through Jesus.

Buddhism - I don’t think they believe anything. God, altogether, is pretty much non-existent in Buddhism.

Hindus: Some believe in some sort of Jesus.
Islam: Can’t do without Jesus and waiting for his return
Buddhist: No God so Jesus is out.
Jews:Still waiting…for the Messiah. Jesus did not fulfill several prophesies.:shrug:

Islam most important prophet after muhammad son of a virgin named mary no redemption

Judaism a false messiah, heretic, criminal

Wiccans and some pagans a historical man whose teachings on love and compassion are divine somehow

Other religions i dont know thier opinions ive sought out the opinions of these religions through followers of said religions

While according to Judaism, Jesus is not believed to be the Messiah, much less G-d, it does believe Jesus was a good man and learned rabbi. The Nazarene Jews are an exception. They believe Jesus was the Messiah, but not G-d.

Hindus believe God has many Sons i.e. God appears through many different human beings known as Avatars.

Some Hindus (maybe many) believe that Jesus was one such Avatar.

I’ve ever read somewhere about hinduism refers krishna to Jesus Christ, brahmana to Abraham. I’m not sure about the correlation between krishna and Jesus, and between brahmana and Abraham :smiley: i know nothing about hinduism and have no desire to learn it

Very fascinating and perplexing at the same time!:stuck_out_tongue:

MJ

Most Buddhists accept that Jesus was a Bodhisattva. Not a fully enlightened Buddha, but close. He will be a Buddha in not too many more lifetimes. Many fewer lifetimes than the rest of us.

rossum

How and why did Buddhists actually believe there was a Jesus? :hmmm:

MJ

In the same way we actually believe that there was a Mohammed. The man existed. Not all of the claims made about Him are necessarily correct.

rossum

Are you implying Mohammed and Jesus are sort of equals?

MJ

What is the point of these questions of yours?

Both Mohammed and Jesus had some things the same, and other things different. Both founded major world religions, for example, as did the Buddha. In that sense all three are the same. All three spoke different languages, so in that sense they are different.

rossum

I do not know much about Buddha but when ı look at His principles ı think(some of Muslims too) Buddha maybe a prophet at least He may have learn from a prophet. Because a man by himself cannot learn that spiritual things without a revelation. The revelations came to prophets have been changed/corrupted partially by lapse of time.

Jesus were a prophet but not a God or Son of God. Because God have not got used to come on the world or send his son before. That issue Jesus is Son of God conflicts with many facts and it is vey difficult to understand.

I can understand what you mean if you were new to Catholicism but I would like to know exactly in which way Jesus (2000 years of experience of the Church which traces it’s history all the back to Jesus and his apostles,and vast teachings) to just narrowing down to say just Jesus and Mohammed being starters of their religions. Jesus for example didn’t create a religion as such but a Church.

So in what context can they be compared really?

MJ

Some polytheistic faiths hold that various lands or cultures have their own god/gods with which they have a contract or relationship.

Rather like the Israelites understanding that God was the God of Abraham and they were his chosen people.

So for them, Christ is either a prophet or god for those people. It’s not for them to decide his precise role or defintion. But neither is Christ their god.

Many pagans believe Christ was a great enlightened teacher, and akin to one of their gods or prophets, an enlightened being who shared a divine message with others.

Some see Christ as another manifestation of a great and continuing cycle of divine revelation. A real man who’s story was interwoven with myth and prophesy of the particular culture he sprang from, but with a timeless message, a similar message to those before an after him, but again, with the spin and history of the culture he sprang from applied to him.

I know very few pagans who do not believe that Christ existed as a man in history. Their understanding of his role and relationship to their lives differs.

Wanted make correction but too late in my previous post. Last line …Jesus didn’t create a religion as such but he BUILT a CHURCH.

MJ

Both of them performed some miracles. Either have got revelation from God and established a religion.

Does Build a Church mean building a construction or found Christianity?

What did Jesus have got more than Muhammed? Is there anything that you can say? İnner Jesus was not a God but He was a very high spiritulaty human. Was there any characters of a God on Jesus? Did He not live exactly like a humanbeing? He performed some miracles but do not forget many prophets performed miracles. Lastly as a position Muhammed come first.

There are many errors here.

To answer your question, no, He didn’t build a physical structure:

Matthew 16:16 Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. "

17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Also,

Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age. "

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.