How do protestants get to heaven without the Eucharist?

If only a Catholic priest can change the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ at the mass, and I know that only a Catholic priest can, and didn’t Christ say in the bible that if we do not eat of his flesh and drink of his blood we cannot enter into His Kingdom? Then how are protestants suppose to get to Heaven? I know that other people of other denominations do go to heaven. Does Jesus simply excuse them because of their ignorance? I’m speaking of those who really don’t understand or know that. This is probably an ignorant question. lol sorry if it is. I am just trying to learn since I had been away from the catholic church for probably 50 yrs. until about 5 yrs. ago. I had forgotten almost everything I learned in Catholic school. I’m catching up pretty quick though.

:harp:

Awaiting posts.

Invincible Ignorance is the reason (CCC1791-1793…1793 specifically).

Peace and all good!

I think it would be the same answer to the question about the unbaptized. We are bound by the Sacraments, God is not. Someone may be able to give a much more in depth explanation, but basically this is it.

God through his mercy can save them. However he doesn’t say that he will save them. we don’t know how he judges that person, damned or saved. That is why we must evangelize the people who believe the Protestant heresy. Their souls are at stake

That sounds more like an inquisition than evangelization. If you start any evangelic discussion with a claim that it is important to evangelize them because their lack of understanding spells damnation, seldom will you win a person over to the faith!

I’m not saying that’s how you start to evangelize. I’m just telling us Catholics we need to evangelize Protestants because their souls are at stake. You are right that that is definitely not the way to approach someone though. If I’m still not clear I apologize

God be with you

We have the Eucharist, but I know it is not the same (not apostolic succession, etc.). Also, at least where I come from, it is mostly believed that through baptism and faith alone, one is saved.

So you are free to sin?

What about the two commandments Jesus gave?

Good post!

I doubt that invincible ignorance applies to the Protestants with whom I have spoken. They seem to know Catholic doctrine and reject it. One recently told me that he will simply “plead the blood of Christ” at judgement and enter the kingdom of heaven.

The future of their souls is certainly at risk. Prayer and fasting are essential for evangelization. Don’t worry too much about the words.

Agree to that my friend. Without prayer nothing can be accomplished

This isn’t exactly true the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Christians have Valid Sacraments.

So really only Orthodox Christians have Valid Sacrament and Catholics are Orthodox Christians we are Western Orthodox Christians.

I would say yes considering the Majority of Protestants are born and raised into and it is the only common form of Christian faith especially in America.

You have to understand a good chunk of Christianity does believe in confessing sins to God to be forgiven it’s not all once saved always saved but sadly that is becoming the predominant belief in Salvation amongst American Christians.

Amongst Christian theological groups who believe we must confess our sins and live a Christian life are
Lutheranism
Anglicanism
Wesleyanism

They don’t have confession so they are not absolved and reconciled with the Church to receive the Sacrament but there is no true Sacrament present.

Through true Contrition they can be forgiven for mortal sins and through ignorance.

Think about if they were right heaven help us who didn’t practice Protestantism I would hope God would be as merciful in our ignorance.

That’s hypothetical situation I’m throwing out their.

Were all rolling on Faith and faith is determined by culture and life experience.

I didn’t grow up even vaguely Catholic I would probably be Protestant.

Maybe an Anti Catholic Protestant at that.

Well, it certainly does make it harder to be saved without the Eucharist, considering that it’s Christ Himself.

The Church’s teaching on the matter is that those Christians who are inculpably ignorant of the true teaching of the Church on the matter, or who have not been given sufficient reasons to believe, will not be condemned precisely for that account. If they believe in the one true God, who rewards the good and the bad, and in the Trinity and the Incarnation of Christ, and faithfully cooperate with the graces of God (faith itself is a grace, of course), then they can be saved, by their at least implicit desire for the most Blessed Sacrament.

I hope this helps,
Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Well sort of…invincible ignorance would not be a viable excuse for a protestant who was at one time a Catholic. However, it can apply to those who never were Catholic, Rejection is one thing, but often the reason for not accepting is because it was not presented properly…and if it were not accepted because of questionable kerygmatic practices, invincible ignorance may very well apply.

This isn’t really a good answer. I know what you mean, but it’s not quite right.

Let me explain:

The Eucharist is Jesus Christ Himself, the Light of the World, the Redeemer of Man, God the Son, the source of all knowledge and wisdom. Ignorance of any kind is not a substitute for Christ, who is the very opposite of ignorance. The Eucharist is the source of the Church’s power, authority etc. because it is Christ Himself.

The Protestant who through no fault of his own, yet sincerely seeks God and the true Faith, will, if he cooperate with the graces of God, be brought to salvation, but not without faith, hope and charity. Since they must possess charity to be saved, they must also obey the Divine commandments cf. If you love me, keep my commandments (Jn. 14:15). Now Christ Himself commands us to partake of the Eucharist: Unless you eat of the flesh of the Son of man, you shall not have life within you (Jn. 6:53). So, this Protestant, ignorant by no fault of his own, must therefore, at least implicitly will to receive this Sacrament.

So, the Protestant who is invincibly ignorant of the Eucharist will not be condemned for not receiving the Eucharist, but that invincible ignorance will not save him either. Invincible ignorance is no substitute for faith, hope, charity, the sacraments, the Church, Christ etc.

I hope this helps,
Benedicat Deus,
Latinitas

Are you saying Protestants are saved by contrition and ignorance? I don’t think I want to rely on those things.

Why join the one and only Church that was started by Christ, contains the fullness of truth, and provides grace for the salvation of souls?

Can a soul go to heaven if a person doesn’t love Jesus? Christ told us, “If you love Me, then you will obey My word”. His word is only found within the Church that He founded. Jesus gave only one set of keys to Peter. Those were for the Catholic Church. There were not additional sets for the churches founded by Luther, Calvin, Smyth, etc.

No, not free to sin. I confess my sins (all of them) directly to God. Yes, need to follow the Ten Commandments, too. Should have been more clearer.

The same way that anyone else does: via the Grace of God.

Out of kindness or empathy, we have a tendency to put the bar too low on invincible ignorance. Proper presentation is only an excuse for someone lacking in super natural faith. God wants everyone to know and accept the truth. He gave us the Holy Spirit to move the hearts of non-believers. People are obligated to seek the truth. Knock and it shall be opened. Seek and ye shall find.

It is often laziness or pride that keep a person in ignorance. These are vincible.

Yes, laziness or pride is what can keep a person in ignorance, But its not always the laziness and pride of the evangelized, but of the evangelist.

If your brother doesn’t understand, you don’t throw up your arms and say, “I tried, but he has rejected the truth”, you have failed at the command to evangelize and will face the consequences.

This is yet another textbook example of St. Augustin telling us that the closer we look at our own faults and shortcomings, the less serious those of our neighbors appear.

Peace and all good!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.