How do Protestants view Pope's Easter Message?

How do the Protestants on this forum view the Pope’s Easter Message? Do you agree or disagree?

*While there were “some signs of hope in dialogue between Israel and the Palestinian Authority, nothing positive comes from Iraq, torn apart by continual slaughter as the civil population flees,” he said.

The political crisis in Lebanon, instability in Afghanistan, chaos in Somalia, economic collapse in Zimbabwe, and the “catastrophic, and sadly to say underestimated, humanitarian situation” in Darfur were some of the other places the pope listed as needing attention.*

*With all the suffering, evil and injustice plaguing the world, it is possible one’s faith in God might be put to the test, just as the apostles’ faith in Jesus had been shaken “by the scandal of the cross,” Pope Benedict said.

But such doubts, fears and disappointments help “purify all false concepts of God” and guide people “to discover his true face,” the pope said.

Instead of being a sign of apparent failure, Jesus’ passion and death show “the face of a God who, in Christ, has taken upon himself the wounds of injured humanity,” he said.

“Only a God who loves us to the extent of taking upon himself our wounds and our pain, especially innocent suffering, is worthy of faith,” the pope said.

While his resurrection did not eliminate evil and suffering, Christ did take all of humanity’s pains and trials upon himself out of love, and he “left us the love that does not fear death as the way to peace and joy,” he said.*

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0701956.htm

Sounds good to me.:thumbsup:

All I can say is “Amen!!”

Ok there are two thumbs up so far. If at all possible can I get some more feedback? I am honestly curious on who agrees with this statement not as a ‘conversion’ tactic or you that have to agree with the Pope on everything (as I know that can be hard for some) but there is a bigger picture here. Think Regan and Pope John Paul 2 fighting against the evil of communism and human rights. They are a great example of a protestant and a Catholic coming together to fight a bigger evil.

It isn’t a conversion tactic. If Pope Benedict XVI did say anything about conversion in his Easter message it would be mention.

This is what the Pope stressed:

**“Only a God who loves us to the extent of taking upon himself our wounds and our pain, especially innocent suffering, is worthy of faith,” the pope said.

While his resurrection did not eliminate evil and suffering, Christ did take all of humanity’s pains and trials upon himself out of love, and he “left us the love that does not fear death as the way to peace and joy,” **

Oh I know Manny. I meant my post wasn’t a ‘conversion tactic’ but rather honest discussion on fighting the bigger evil.

Unfortunately, I would venture to say that any Christian who had a problem with the message of Pope Benedict would only have a problem with it because Benedict was Catholic, and in their mind, we ARE the “bigger evil”.

I know a lot of the folk who lean far left think America is a bigger evil than radical Islam. I hope this isn’t the case with ‘Christians’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.