How do they get away with it?

How do Protestant,Evangelical,Bible Only groups get away with saying that they are Bible based and Full Gospel groups and Catholics are not because of all our “traditions of men” when a basic reading of the Bible shows that they have an unbiblical view of topics like Bible and Faith Alone,symbolic bapitsm,confession,Bible and tradition,Eucharist etc.etc.etc. It seems to me that they teach is much more based on “traditions of men” than anything of the Catholic Church.

People can convince themselves of most anything, especially when they stop listening to their hearts.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. While in many of the areas you mention in your thread I find myself more closely aligned with Catholicism than most protestant groups (Baptism, Confession, Eucharist), they probably think they are following scripture. And I certainly don’t think that they’ve stopped listening to their hearts, as rpp said. Sometimes our (all of us) hearts are wrong.
Jon

I agree with your last statement. I was a Protestant for 27 years. They are often very down on “tradition” yet create so many of their own. I think there is a lack of self-examination and self-awareness in this. A good example would be the many churches who state that “religion” is bad and they’re all about “relationship”. How dare they corrupt a beautiful word–religion–that describes God’s holy Church! To the question, “how do they get away with it?”, I would say it’s simply brand marketing and the constant human appetite for something “new”. I am not being flippant at all. This is part of what drove me to the Catholic Church. I realized I didn’t want to protest anything, just come to the Lord’s wonderful table and be fed like any other sinner can.

that is because they have the Bible. they actually hold the Bible for everybody to see. in their minds the CC does not have the Bible and neither teach from the Bible. that is why. they only believe that you preach from the Bible if they actually see you doing it. very silly is it not? that is why they go around with the Bible under their arms, so everyone see that they are using the Bible therefore they must know what they are talking about. silly, very silly of them. i am happy that the CC doesnt have to prove anything to anybody. we go by faith and hearing the Word of God through His Church. what an amazing Grace we have. they just cant figure out that it is the Church that Jesus commanded to teach all people and not the Bible.

"Let us note that the very tradition, teaching, and faith of the
Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, was preached
by the Apostles, and was preserved by the Fathers. On this was the Church founded;
and if anyone departs from this, he neither is nor any longer ought to be called a Christian."
St. Athanasius, Letter to Serapion of Thmuis, 359 A.D

Ironically, the Mass has more scripture in it than any Protestant service I have attended or heard of. The Mass is truly based and steeped in the scriptures.

But for so many years, Protestants have been told that Catholics do not read the Bible and even, according to some, that we are not even allowed to read the Bible. All lies and misrepresentation of course, but how is the common Protestant to know this unless he or she gets over his or her fears and seeks the truth for themselves?

Well, thanks be to God, I did, and am going to become a Catholic.

That is wonderful. I am very glad to hear it and I hope that you have a very positive RCIA experience. My father was also raised as a Protestant and was very happy to have found the Catholic Church - he is more Catholic than my Mom who was raised Catholic (although coming from a French Catholic background, that is saying a lot).

I love the richness of my Faith, and hope that you will also find it richly rewarding - a pearl of great price.

Thank you for your replies they helped me understand a little better. I did think a non-catholic bible only person would send me some scripture passages to look at and I would reply with a few to support my views.

How do they get away with it? A partial answer to that – with regard to this country, anyhow – is the First Amendment ("Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof … ").

I also want to become catholic. I have read alot of religion books for being better catholic.

You are most welcome! :slight_smile:

I would encourage you to go to your local parish and talk to the priest there. Or at least find the weekly church bulletin and look for the “RCIA” or “Inquiry” session schedule.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.