How do we (Catholics) know that Mary was assumed into Heaven?

Thats a good question. I learned that some ppl actually think that St. Paul learned much of what he knew about Jesus from Mary herself.

Just the fact that no record of her burial from any ante nicene text as well as Sacred Tradition is good enough for me. :):heart:

If we can believe the teachings of the Church we can believe God would do something special for His Mother. For me, it makes sense that Christ would love His mother enough to bring her directly to Him when she died.

Cause the church says so insert sassy finger snap here

If in fact the Assumption of Mary had occurred, I truly believe scripture would not be silent on it, because that would have been a very unique and important event.

Well the idea that the saints are asleep seems unbiblical. When Jesus was Transfigured before Peter, James and John atop Mt. Olivet, Moses and Elijah appeared with Him. So it’s possible that the saints are in heaven (obviously they are according to the Church, but if a Protestant follows this line of reasoning, this will be the next logical step - though it will still be short of the full truth).

Thank you for posting this article…it was really informative :slight_smile:

St. John the Apostle, saw her in heaven, bodily and wrote about it in his book of revelation. See chapter 12 verse 1.

sassy finger snap

I would suggest looking at the Book of Revelation.

We don’t. This along with the "Queenship of Mary have never made much sense to me. They aren’t described in the New Testament nor any extra canonical books of the New Testament. ( The Immaculate Conception is at least described in the Protoevangelium of James) I believe it because the Church says so and I trust the Church but I tell you some of the beliefs on Mary are hard. And the readings regarding these Solemnities really have absolutely nothing to do with what is being celebrated but metaphor.

Yes, we do.

This along with the "Queenship of Mary

Rev 12:1 record the fact that Mary was in heaven, bodily. And the fact that she wore a crown of 12 stars. Thus, recognizing her as Queen.

have never made much sense to me.

Well, Jesus loves His mother so much, that He immediately brought her to heaven.
And, the Mother of a King is a Queen. Thus, the mother of the King of Heaven is the Queen of Heaven.

They aren’t described in the New Testament

see above.

nor any extra canonical books of the New Testament.

Yes, actually. There is a book which describes the fact that Mary swooned, the Apostles were called back from the ends of the earth and when they arrived, she was gone and there was a hole in the ceiling. Hm? I tried to find it, but instead I found that, according to Wikipedia, there are a whole slew of books from the Early Church, precisely about the Assumption. Look at the history section.

( The Immaculate Conception is at least described in the Protoevangelium of James) I believe it because the Church says so and I trust the Church but I tell you some of the beliefs on Mary are hard. And the readings regarding these Solemnities really have absolutely nothing to do with what is being celebrated but metaphor.

On the contrary, the readings are precisely about that which is being celebrated.

I’d like to know if Mary ever made any reference to her assumption in any of her approved apparitions, but I don’t think she ever did as far as I know. It still doesn’t hurt to believe the assumption is possible. We have Elijah and Enoch as precedents. Frankly, I can’t imagine Jesus not wanting His mother, with a glorified body, in heaven with Him.

And how do you know all of this is true? Sounds like something you have memorized. Your statement does not answer the question…“How do we know…” It would be nice if all you say was the reason for the Assumption, but your reasons boil down to pure speculation. Is there written evidence in scripture that what you say is true?

How do we know? Faith plus reason, which have both been explained in most of the above posts. Either you have these attributes or you do not.

1.FAITH

1. The Dogmatic teachings of the RCC

2. While the tombs of the Apostles are known, the location of the Upper Room is known, the house in Nazareth is Known; MARY"S tomb is mysterious NOT known? NO, friend that is a sign of this TRUTH

God Bless you,
Partick [PJM]

Faith and reason, as others have said is key to me. But I would also add to the reason portion that some 50 years after the Church made the Assumption a dogma, we have science. I believe is was sometime in the early 2000’s that science discovered that we mothers carry antibodies of all the children we have ever conceived and these antibodies carry the full DNA of those children. That would mean the Blessed Mother had God’s DNA coursing through Her veins…a pretty good argument imo for not letting the BVM’s body see corruption.

The Scripture is not all books written around the time or anything like that, it is a collection of various books deemed inspired by the Church.
Also, when? Mary died, if she died (perhaps for just a moment), long after Christ, etc

God doesn’t have DNA

Jesus most certainly did have DNA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.