How do we combat the culture of narcissism?

How do we relate to and combat the culture of narcissism that is taking over in Western society?

By modeling selflessness?

What capital sin does Narcissism tie back to?

I was in religion classes for years and never heard that term used.

Living in Christ and role modeling are not the same thing.

Devoting more intense education on developing the conscience, I think.

Sadly there are people who spend their lives desperately seeking admiration to counteract their feelings of inner emptiness. Jesus said Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven.

Promote The Little Way.

The antidote for self-centeredness is humility.

However, if you’re talking about the mental illness of narcissism, diagnosed by an actual psychiatrist, ATM there are little to no known cures.

I just signed up for this site 10 mins ago after reading across a protestants and Paul thread.
Wanted to chime in as I was confused, cynical and in wonder of why my fellow protestants seem to focus on St Paul. I persecuted Paul on every occasion possible as he was an intellectual’s easiest type of target. I’ll leave my coming to Paul story for other times, just know I’m a former persecutor who is now one of the paul focused protestants trying to be understood this discussion:

forums . catholic . com / t / protestants-and-st-paul / 344146

Thought it was odd that not once the word “love” show up in the link above. Just 8mins ago someone dropped a great line here… “The antidote for self-centeredness is humility.” Paul preached this antidote to narcissistic behavior, and from experiencing both sides, why many protestants flock to Paul when the light comes on and they understand the times he lived, the path God laid before him, and how he lived to serve, understand, and unite - not dictate and divide.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. " Amen my friends.

I give this answer to the OP the “best mention”.

Changing culture is a giant challenge. It is difficult enough to start wit ourselves. In culture it would seem that the first step is to recognize and identify the behaviors in particular situations. Then, offer an alternative.

Selflessness in balance with self respect is our goal.

Larger families, learning to share :thinking:

And consider what we may have in common with him that needs fixing. Both his supporters and his detractors must have at some point felt he has a twitter problem. Social media gives us the platform to believe our opinions, musings and life events are worthy of an audience. So examining the pull social media or even anonymous forums have on us and those we love as well as our motives for using them would go far to help combat narcissistic tendencies and “stay small.”

@jjbill He’s living rent free in your head, isn’t he?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.