I know a lot of us on this forum have been through some challenging times. My husband’s family has (finally!) decided to confront my SIL about doing something with her life and caring for her 5 children.
The situation is very complex and I don’t want to fall into gossip, so I’m just asking for dos and don’ts pretty much. Also if you know of resources in the state of Michigan, especially through the Church rather than through the state.
- Help her define an attainable career path so she can support her family regardless of what her ex is or isn’t doing
- Inspire her to seek appropriate education for her children
- Get her back on track regarding drinking and internet dating before they become addictions or put her in a compromising situation
- Convince her to get special help and training for her 8yo son who probably has some form of autism spectrum disorder or high functioning autism.
- Help her improve her self-image
- Encourage family cohesion and a stable environment where the 12yo is not responsible for caring for the younger kids by herself