How do we explain the wealth of the Catholic Church?

I am able to defend my faith in most areas but have no satisfying response to uneducated Catholics or others regarding what they perceive as the Catholic Church’s wealth. What explanation do you or would you give to those who constantly interpret the Church’s “perceived” wealth as hypocritical to its teachings? I get questions such as, if Jesus is present in the church (building), as believed, wouldn’t he want us to sell the material goods and clothe the poor? History means nothing to them. Our generosity throughout the ages up to the present day is meaningless, because… "We could feed so many MORE if we didn’t keep all our gold and all our real estate to ourselves. How greedy are we!’ I’m sure you get the drift of my question. Thank you.

The following link should help answer your question about the wealth of the Vatican. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Shouldn’t the Church sell off its artifacts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.