How Do We Know About the Agony in the Garden?

I was reading Matthew 26:36-46, and I was wondering how we have an account of what Jesus said at Gethsemane. The disciples were found sleeping each time Jesus returned, so how do we know what he said when he prayed? Thanks in advance, and may God bless all of you!

I would assume that He woke them and told them what had happened.

Jesus appeared to his disciples over a period of forty days after his resurrection, I’m sure they had a few things to talk about :wink:

Right. And let’s not forget about Mary. She filled in a lot of gaps too.

Paul waited 3 years before starting to write a good chunk of the N.T. He also interviewed a lot of people and did a lot of studying before putting onto paper his christian theology.

Good question.

Fran

And not to forget, even after Jesus ascended into Heaven, the apostles and the other early Christians believed that He still gave them revelations and visions from time to time (St. Paul for example is a recipient of this). Just because He (literally) went back to God doesn’t mean Jesus no longer had any sort of contact with His followers.

So yeah, as you say, it’s either Jesus told them during the period of the resurrection appearances or maybe even after the ascension, via a revelation.

And then HE sent HIS Holy Spirit to inspire and guide them and His Church till the end of time. God Bless, Memaw

The Apostles would have heard what Jesus said in prayer. We only have a very small amount of what Jesus prayed in the Garden. It can be supposed that the apostles heard Jesus praying what we have written in Scripture before they fell asleep. There is probably a lot more to the prayer of Jesus than we have recorded. Or, that may have been all that was audible to the Apostles, and because the prayer of Jesus grew quiet, they fell asleep.

The visionary, Mother Mary Agreda writes that Jesus prayed especially hard for the reprobate, which caused him to sweat blood, that his suffering would not be in vain, but would save them. That is the cup he would have to drink, and that is why He said “Yet not my will, but Thine be done.”

The Bible is not specific but considering how important the event was, if I had been sleeping and saw what happened shortly after, I would have asked Him.

Ed

Luke 24:45 “Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.