How do we know all Saints are in Heaven?

I was thinking about the concept of praying to the saints because they are in heaven and closer to God and Jesus, and who’s prayers have more effect or weight then our prayers while here on earth.

…and I started thinking…how do we even know everyone declared as a Saint by the RCC actually is in heaven?

This thought was brought about after reading Matthew chapter 7.

Matthew 7:21-23

21"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23"And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

IF I understand correctly, Saints are given the title of Saints based in part to their faith in Christ and how they lived their life (including preforming miracles).

Here in Matthew 7, Jesus tells us that many will say Lord, Lord, and who have done amazing things for God while here on earth will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

So how do we know for sure all the Saints that are being prayed to are actually in heaven interceding for us here on earth?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The formal process of canonization requires proof of miracles that occured after the person in question had died–miracles that can be strictly credited to their intercession. These miracles are offered as proof of what we otherwise could not know with certainty, though it obviously isn’t just about the miracles either, but as you mentioned, there are criteria used based on whether they displayed “heroic virtue” during their lifetimes.

Interesting. I did not know that. Just out of curiosity…are there sites where I can read about each saint and how they fulfilled the requirements in earning their title?

wikipedia? :shrug:

Ask CAF and they will give you a fantastic link to all the saints!

I did a simple google search on St. Francis of Assisi Miracle, and found this:

catholic-saints.suite101.com/article.cfm/miracles_attributed_to_st_francis_of_assisi

I’m sure it would more than likely work with whichever Saint you are looking for.

Thank you

this link might also help you, it’s on the catholic encyclopedia part of catholic.com

oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Saints_Index

The list as 1,001 saints so hopefully you can find the one you’re looking for.

That’s precisely what I was looking for.

Thank you very much for posting it!

Hi Stouts989 - your Bible verses got me thinking that those passages also, in part, are good evidence for Catholics as to why once saved always saved isn’t correct - that we can fall away from the Lord (not He from us) to the point where we’d lose our chance at Heaven. But I don’t mean to get off topic - just a thought.

I don’t see the connection…can you spell it out more using this verse?

Here’s the verses:

Matthew 7:21-23

21"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
22"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23"And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

Who do you think Christ is speaking about in these verses? Only non-Christians? Only the non-saved and/or non-baptized?

Hey OHCAC,

I went ahead and started a new thread. I titled it “Matthew 7:21-23”. I look forward to studying some scripture with you.

Blessings!

Stouts989 You say you arev a follow of Christ and from your profile you must be prostestant so you believe in OSAS so you must have 1000 of Christian in heaven

What?

I believe in the perseverance of the saints. Because God promises to not lose anyone He has called into salvation. I put my trust fully on the sovereignty of God and not what I can or can’t do to keep myself saved.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.