How do we know if our reasons are serious enough to use NFP?

My wife and I have been married for a few years and have been practicing NFP to avoid. We both enjoy our work and have been tremendously blessed with rewarding careers.

I feel called to stop using NFP and take a “come what may” approach. My wife, however, says she wants to delay pregnancy and continue using NFP. Now don’t get me wrong, I love, respect, and do my best to honor my wife. But I worry that we are using NFP without serious reasons.

I know my wife is extremely driven and committed to her career and I want to respect that, but I also don’t want to sin because we are using NFP without serious/just/grave reasons.

A further point of clarification: we are absolutely open to life. We want children and if we are blessed with children even while trying to avoid, we would view it as a supreme blessing not as a “mistake”.

These links should help you to understand the Church’s teachings on when it is appropriate to use NFP. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
When am I obliged to start my family?

Spacing of children always wrong?
Must a couple have “grave reason” to use NFP?
What are acceptable reasons for avoiding pregnancy?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.