How do we know if we are doing God's will?

There’s something that I’ve been thinking about for a while…

In the Bible, it says

“Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven. Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity. Every one therefore that heareth these my words, and doth them, shall be likened to a wise man that built his house upon a rock, And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell not, for it was founded on a rock.
And every one that heareth these my words, and doth them not, shall be like a foolish man that built his house upon the sand, And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell, and great was the fall thereof.” (Mt. 7:21-27)

how do we know if we are doing the will of the Father…what does Jesus mean here? what is the Father’s will?

perhaps we can discuss this :slight_smile:

This is a great question and one that everyone that wishes to attain heaven needs not only to ask ~ needs to seek the answer to. Following God’s will for one’s life needs one essential discipline…the discernment of spirits.

One needs to become very sensitive to who is leading one’s will at every moment…the evil one or God Himself. This is not an automatic ~ it is more of an acquired ability ~ that one can be guided through by a Spiritual Director or one could also instruct one self, if devoted enough using recognized reading material. I have found Fr. Timothy Gallagher the best author on The Discernment of Spirits.

The only way to follow God’s will for your life is to make sure it is God’s will you are following…discernment of spirits.

May God Bless your desire to follow HIM!

Good question how DO we know?We can only try…By following the teachings of Jesus ,the commandments, beatitudes etc we are given guidance.To be a good desciple of Christ we strive to be as Christ-like as possible and like the apostles.Attending Mass and receiving the Blessed Sacrament as often as we can(not just Sunday)brings us ever closer and nourishes our very soul.Pray and spend" time" with Our Lord each day to thank him for the blessings he gives each and every one of us.
We show in our actions our love for God by being caring and kindness to others as He was.
How can we ever know.?..we can only try our hardest to follow his teachings and pray for guidance
God Bless

The easiest answer that I can give you is charity. Fidelity to God’s will bears a fruit called charity. The closer we come to the Lord’s will, the greater our willingness to be charitable, even when it is very difficult.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

My dear friend

My understanding is that we are meant to do Gods will always and doing Gods will is a form of prayer so we are meant to pray always. Sleeping, eating, working, playing and everything can be turned into prayer when done for God and out of a motive of love of God. we also have our mental prayer, rosary, mass and the sacraments and so on.
Love God and your neighbour as yourself is Gods will. If we explore how to do this perfectly then we can know how to do Gods will perfectly and pray constantly as St Paul tells us. I would say finally that we should look at our first parents before the fall for the whole story. They lived perfectly naturally and in perfect harmony with nature. This is Gods will on how we are to live in my opinion. This is a simplified quick explaination of how I see it.

God bless you:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

Hahaha, I was looking for more info on how to know what is God’s will by using various search engines, including CAF’s search function, and it seems I keep coming back to what I read before, by either finding it or having to point it out to those who need it because it is such a good exposition on it. Maybe it’s God’s will for me to read it more? :o Anyways here it is:

Discernment, by Peter Kreeft

The ending of the short essay summarizes it:

God, in giving us all free will, said to us: “Your will be done.” Some of us turn back to him and say: “My will is that your will be done.” That is obedience to the first and greatest commandment. Then, when we do that, he turns to us and says: “And now, your will be done.” And then he writes the story of our lives with the pen strokes of our own free choices.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.