How do we know the Holy Spirit is guiding our path?

I have had tremendous growth in faith over the past two years, especially since participating in CRHP with my parish.

I have attributed the power of the Holy Spirit to this growth.
But how do we know for sure? Could it not just be wishful thinking, and the growth is just a normal passion, like someone who is turned onto Football, or knitting?

Well we have the word of Jesus that He would send the Holy Spirit and the purpose was for us to know the Truth and come to a better understanding of faith. He didn’t say anything about the HS’s job being to enhance our appreciation for football or knitting. One might only have to examine Notre Dame’s football record over the years to know football is not a prime interest of the Holy Spirit.

If we know the HS’s work is to bring us to faith or a better enrichment of that faith, and you have been, you have no good reason to think the HS had no role in it.

I think we know that the Holy Spirit is guiding our paths if we are brought closer to the Church, Our Lord and our faith in general. Jesus says that a house divided against itself cannot stand. So, if you are being drawn toward what is good and what is accepted by the Church, that is the work of the Holy Spirit. As Pope John Paul II advised, “don’t be afraid!” Trust your life to the Lord and to the Holy Spirit (accept the Lord’s will for you) and everything will work out eventually.
Peace to you !

I wasn’t implying that the Spirit is involved in football or knitting. My question is how to know the Spirit is involved when we grow in spiritual things. Think of the following gospel passage:

Matthew 7:21 Jesus said, “Not everyone that says to me Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my father which is in heaven.”

“Many will say to me in that day Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name cast out devils? And in your name done many wonderfull works? And then I will profess into them, I never knew you : depart from me you that work iniquity.”

How do we know the good works, or growing in our faith is deceiving ourselves?:shrug:

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.