How do we know what God wants in life?

I’ve been wondering lately how we know what God wants for us to do in life. For example, if we do something (let’s say somebody gets a job as a waiter) but through no fault of our own, the job goes terrible, would that be God telling us not to have that job, or that we should be trying harder?

I’ve had experiences like this in the past, and have wondered that same question. Is God telling me not to do this, or to work harder at it?

Any thoughts?

What God wants in life is this: that we love God with all our heart, mind, and soul; and love our neighbor as ourselves.

Good rule of thumb:

Is the object in question something you made a vow before God you would stick to regardless of adversity? Marriage would fall into this category. Or is the job in question something that you fell into as a convenience. Are you even remotely bearing fruit for the kingdom? IDK maybe you are as a waiter; but more likely, if it’s not working out, that is because it is not working out, not because God is testing you and wants you to try harder as a waiter. Now having said that, we should always do our best at whatever we put our hands to. If that is happening then there is no question about what is “right” or not.

He has told you, O man, what is good,
And what the LORD requires of you:
Only to do justice
And to love goodness.
And to walk modestly with your God;
Then will your name achieve wisdom.

Micah 6:8

*Love *it! :thumbsup:

love that Micah he is rite on :thumbsup:

How do we know what God wants in life?

We don’t.

So, without knowing, what do we do?

We make ourselves available to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

That leading may be indicating to change the waiter job - or not.

The closer we identify our choices with those wrought in prayer and done in Spirit, the closer we come to fulfilling what God wants.

Can we be wrong in our choices?

Yes, but by seeking the leading of the Holy Spirit, in our conversation by prayer with God, we will have a Romans 8:28.

:slight_smile:

what about adding "Not to Sin"…

Actually, “loving God with all your heart” and “loving your neighbour as yourself” is not sinning. Remember, that to sin is to reject God’s love. From this, sin is either to do something which shows you do not love God with all your heart, or it is do something that shows you do not love your neighbour as yourself. Therefore, to say to “love God with all your heart” and to “love your neighbour as yourself” is a sufficient and more elaborate way of saying “not sinning”.

Thank you,
**Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk **

The situation with sin is not a mystery to the Lord. He has been here. Treat others as you want to be treated. And in the sick, needy, poor, homeless that is God.

Were passing through the station earth. Don’t think to much of it or allow it to affect your overall plan of eterenity to much. All that glitters isn’t Gold. Its a test that many fail. A drop of water in the ocean of time. Everything here is fleeting.

Isn’t it something we eat, pee and **** just like the creatures. Throw some cloths, jewerly, and a couple bucks in the pocket? And we really think we are about something?

Live in a constant state of humility thanking the Lord for that moment you have. Its through his Grace you have it. We live by His mercy minute to minute.

God wants to be in perfect communion with your soul. And your soul wants to be in perfect communion with God. Once the communion can take place within you, He will lead you. You’ll just have to listen.

I’m not there yet, but I’m working on it:thumbsup:

:rotfl:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

well, what about not sinning because that person fears GOD?, for example a secular person does not love GOD but fears Him, thus he does not sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.