How do we truly know what Truth is?

I’m at a crossroads in my life and struggling with my beleifs and the question hits me: How would I know what Truth is?

I read a lot and certainly see various truths from various authors. Some of the leaders of the enlightenment movement make some great points and I have read some of the material of the early Church Fathers who also make some outstanding arguments for how we should see or live our lives. I adhere to a lot of scientific principles, since I have a background in science but at the same time I was raised Catholic and have a fairly good idea of Church teachings. But I’m still left struggling because a lot of the things I have read are at odds with each other. I know that this is not the first time this struggle has been presented on these forums and I know I won’t be the last person to face this problem, but I know there are a lot of intelligent people here that can take this issue on.

In addition to the question I posed above, I have another: Are reason and faith at odds or can they coexist?

Thanks for the help,

SG

You posted awhile ago and I just found this, hope its not been already discussed.

But something to think about is Truth. Jesus said I am the Truth. Which means all Truth comes from Him, there is no Truth without Him.

Even if a non christian can state something that is true. Truth doesnt only come out of christian sources. (Although one would hear more of truth) And when truth is stated its still God.

Its not like Truth is here and God is over there, they are one and the same.

If a non christian states Truth they simply are unaware of the source of the Truth

does that help??

. :slight_smile: peeking . . . . .

EXCELLENT Question! You are not alone in seeking the Truth. In John 18:38a “Pilate said to him, ‘What is truth?’”

I read a lot and certainly see various truths from various authors. Some of the leaders of the enlightenment movement make some great points and I have read some of the material of the early Church Fathers who also make some outstanding arguments for how we should see or live our lives.

This is a good start!

I adhere to a lot of scientific principles, since I have a background in science but at the same time I was raised Catholic and have a fairly good idea of Church teachings. But I’m still left struggling because a lot of the things I have read are at odds with each other.

In addition to the question I posed above, I have another: Are reason and faith at odds or can they coexist?

CCC 159:* Faith and science*: “Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth.” "Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are."I especially like the phrase “nor can truth ever contradict truth.”

One thing that has always amazed me is the faith of the martyrs. What does it take for a person to be willing to sacrifice their life for their belief? I think it is because they know the Truth and nothing less.

I think each of us travel our own path in seeking the Truth. This is where it is helpful to have a good Spiritual Director that can give you guidance on your journey.

Here is a scripture verse that may help:

But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.

1 Timothy 3:15

And to those who are wondering, yes I have been listening to John Martignoni lately :slight_smile:

Yes, Jesus is the Truth, but it is the Church which upholds and defends the Truth. It is the Body of Christ! So look to the Catholic Church and ALL that it teaches, and there you will find the Truth.

I’m sorry, I am guilty of not reading your entire original post carefully.

If you are finding contradictions, consult the Catechism for answers, or post them in the Ask an Apologist forum.

I appreciate all of your answers. I went to confession today and I know that there really is no way to handle everything on my own…(isn’t that the simplicity of faith anyways?)

I think that you all made some good points and ultimately, I have to accept that I’ll never have all the answers and that I can only make a decision to open myself up to Truth…

…or at least I think…

SG

Rememer that most of the Enlightenment “thinkers,” had an agenda; the overwhelming majority of them tolerated Christianity and hated (yes, that’s the word) the Catholic Church.
Man cannot live by reason alone. Just look at the mess Europe is in. They’ve been trying it since the middle of the eighteenth century.
Man cannot live by blind faith. Just look at the Moslem countries.
Benedict XVI explains so well how reason compliments faith.
I would recommend anything written by him, Ratzinger/Benedict and Peter Kreeft and George Weigel for a perspective on your quandry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.