How do we view the Bible's old testament

A Jew said to me that they think the Torah is the direct word of God yet everything else in the Tanahk is just men writing about God

Is this how we view the old testament?

I always thought that the old testament was all the same, that it was men writing about God and other happenings but it was inspired all by God, the Holy Spirit the third person of the most sacred and blessed Trinity

We believe what Peter and Paul believed. That scripture is God-breathed and that men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God. The scriptures are the artifact of this given to us for the purpose of preserving the revelation of God.

3 Likes

At a high level, yes. I believe the entire Bible is inspired by God.

I can’t imagine in what way your friend means by, “Direct word of God.”

1 Like

Please go to the CCC. There is a wealth of information and reference material there on the Catholic view of Scripture.

Foundational principle here:

ARTICLE 3
SACRED SCRIPTURE

I. CHRIST - THE UNIQUE WORD OF SACRED SCRIPTURE

101 In order to reveal himself to men, in the condescension of his goodness God speaks to them in human words: "Indeed the words of God, expressed in the words of men, are in every way like human language, just as the Word of the eternal Father, when he took on himself the flesh of human weakness, became like men."63

1 Like

My view is the wholeness of the Bible was inspired by God. There are some parts of which is literally the Word of God written by a man like the prophetic Books of the Prophet Isaiah and Ezekiel. It reflects what comes from God’s Mouth.

1 Like

Some Jews do believe this namely that only the Torah is “the word of GOD”
It had to happen this way since in the Old Testament many Prophets spoke about Jesus and HIS coming. Many prophecies that were fulfilled by HIM are in these other books. So by ejecting those books from their canon, they “fixed” the Jesus problem for them.

Peace!

I believe that the Bible I read today, is the Bible that God intends me to read.

At the time of Jesus, Jews were divided on which works were to be accepted. The Sadducees accepted only the Torah, whereas the Pharisees accepted additional works. (cf. Acts 23:6-10. See also the last paragraph in this article in the Catholic Ency.)

Josephus was a Jewish historian who lived from 37AD to 100AD. For those interested, here is a link to his writing concerning the various sects among the Jews. It starts at paragraph 2.

Not true.

The Sadducees only rejected the oral tradition of the Pharisees.

1 Like

Thank you for the correction.

Acts 23: 8 For the Sad′ducees say that there is no resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit; but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.

I’ve always wondered why the Sadducees denied the existence of angels since they are mentioned in the OT, beginning in Genesis. Does anyone know why?

I believe this is in reference to what I believe is a Jewish belief that the Torah was literally Moses transcribing exactly what God said, word for word (or letter for letter!).

I think it some 700+/- years before Christ, when the 10 tribes broke off (and subsequent).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.