How do you address an archbishop?

Is it the same for bishop and archbishop?

Yes. Both a Bishop and an Archbishop should be addressed as “Your Excellency.” However, if the Archbishop is also a Cardinal then he should be addressed as “Your Eminence.”

It should also be noted that in Britain and Canada there is a tradition of addressing an archbishop as “Your Grace.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit