How do you address formally an Episcopal Vicar

When a parish priest is made Episcopal Vicar, is there a more formal title to call them? ie. you call the Bishop your excellency…

Formally he’d be referred to as “Very Reverend”. However, in his presence you would just address him as “Father”.

Or Monsignor is he’s a Monsignor.

NOTE: the “formally” refers to addressing him in writing, not speech.

Correct. But not all Episcopal vicars are given the added title of Monsignor. That is a papally-bestowed title independent of his vicariate title.

Yes, of course. BTW - I had meant to type: “Or Monsignor if he’s a Monsignor”

It was a typo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit