How do you become a member of the Lord Jesus' Church?

How do you become a member of the Lord Jesus’ Church?

Baptism incorporates a person into the Body of Christ.

For an unbaptized person, baptism into the Catholic Church incorporates them into Christ’s Church.

For a person validly baptized in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community, reception into the Catholic Church is accomplished via a Profession of Faith and completion of the Sacramens of Initiation (Eucharist and Confirmation).

Thanks for your response.

Could you please give me the Scripture references for your comments.

Thanks

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Peter, and those who have held the keys throughout the last 2000 years have the God given right to determine the necessary requirements to be accepted into the Church that Christ built upon his foundation, Any other way is false and leads to a false hope.

Thanks for posting these Scriptures.

Peter, and those who have held the keys throughout the last 2000 years have the God given right to determine the necessary requirements to be accepted into the Church that Christ built upon his foundation, Any other way is false and leads to a false hope.

Paul, Peter, John, Jude etc where inspired by God to write Scriptural Truths about how a person becomes a member of the Lord Jesus’ Church. Could you please post these Scriptures to show me where they relate to the following comments by 1ke.

Baptism incorporates a person into the Body of Christ.

For an unbaptized person, baptism into the Catholic Church incorporates them into Christ’s Church.

For a person validly baptized in a non-Catholic Church or ecclesial community, reception into the Catholic Church is accomplished via a Profession of Faith and completion of the Sacramens of Initiation (Eucharist and Confirmation).

Since I have already established that the Church was given authority by Jesus to make such decisions and place such requirements anything else is unnecessary

Why don’t you refute my assertions about such authority using scripture?

You haven’t established anything, all you did was cut and paste a couple of verses and then make your own comments on them.

However Paul, Peter, John, Jude etc where inspired by God to write Scriptural Truths about how a person becomes a member of the Lord Jesus’ Church. Could you please post these Scriptures and show me where they relate to 1ke’s comments on how you become a member of the Lord Jesus’ Church.

Thanks

To find out how to become a member of God’s church you must read the scriptures for your answer. It’s not a simple, sign on the dotted line and you are in!

John 12:44-50 (NIV) Then Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 45 When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. 47 “As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. 49 For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

Acts 16:30-31 (NIV) He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved–you and your household.”

Do you believe that you have sinned and fall short of the glory of God? Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay for your sins and are you willing to forsake your sin, pick up your cross and follow Him?

If you are, then you are ready to join God’s church.

I used the words of the Lord Himself to show where the authority of the Church comes from. Yes, we need faith. Yes, we need to act in obedience to the Word of God and follow Jesus commands. These are necessary for salvation as has been pointed out by others.

The OP asked about Church membership. I explained where the authority came from to determine who can be a member of the Church that Jesus created.

If emerald isle wanted to discuss salvation theology he should have said so.

You posted your own comments on what the Lord Jesus said in Matt 16:17-19. Also you conveniently left out the first part of what the Lord Jesus’ said.

Yes, we need to act in obedience to the Word of God and follow Jesus commands.

This is why I’m asking you to post the Scripture references that tell people how to become a member of the Lord Jesus’ Church.

I accept your challenge.

The Sacrament of Baptism

Many people believe that baptism is merely a symbolic act that one performs before the community of believers as an outward sign of an inward decision to accept Christ as one’s “personal Lord and Savior”. Is this view biblical or does God view baptism differently? Let’s see what the Bible has to say.

Baptism Commanded by Jesus

John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.”

Some argue that in this verse, “born of water” refers to the placenta fluid of physical birth. However, there is no scriptural basis for this interpretation. Instead, as the references from Ezekiel and the New Testament passages make clear, the “water” connected with the Holy Spirit is the water of the sacrament of baptism – not that of physical birth. Jesus’ words, understood properly, tell us that unless one is “born of baptism and the Spirit” he cannot enter the kingdom of God. This point is underscored by the fact that Jesus and the disciples went out to baptize immediately following this verse.

Titus 3:5
He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit

Rebirth? As in “born again”? Renewal by the Holy Spirit? Isn’t that regeneration?

Matthew 28:19
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

In this passage containing the very last instructions Jesus gave His disciples, we see how important baptism was to Him. He did not say, “Go and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to accept me as their personal Lord and Savior and baptizing them as an outward symbol of this inward acceptance…”

Baptism Saves

Mark 16:16
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Romans 6:3-4
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

1 Peter 3:18-22
18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19 through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison 20 who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

Baptism Washes Away Sin

Acts 2:38-39
38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

At Pentecost, Peter told the crowd to “be baptized…for the forgiveness of…sins.” After that, “you will receive…the Holy Spirit”. Once again, we see the elements of Water and Spirit…just as Ezekiel prophesied. Note too, that this promise is for “you and your children” – a clear endorsement of infant baptism.

Acts 22:16
16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name. (Acts 22:16)

Baptism Makes Us Part of the Body of Christ

1 Corinthians 12:13
13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

Galatians 3:26-27
26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Colossians 2:11-12
11 In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, 12 having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

Baptism is Related to Impartation of the Holy Spirit

Ezekiel 36:25-27
25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

In this Old Testament passage, the prophet clearly speaks of the sacrament of baptism that was to come. Notice the elements: water is sprinkled, the person is actually made clean (not merely imputed to be or called clean), and they receive a new spirit along with the gift of the Holy Spirit. Ezekiel makes a connection between washing in Water and the receipt of the Spirit of God.

However, sometimes when the Old Testament is referenced, people will say, “Well, we follow the New Testament.” in an attempt to dismiss an Old Testament passage. They need to remember the following words from the New Testament:

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Consequently, we can see that all of the Bible must be taken into account when we seek to understand doctrine.

From these passages, we can see that baptism is commanded by Jesus, that baptism saves us, that baptism washes away sin, that baptism makes us part of the body of Christ, and that water baptism is connected very closely with the receipt of the Holy Spirit. Therefore, baptism can hardly be viewed as a merely symbolic act.

[size=3]Mat 16:13[/size] When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

Mat 16:14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Mat 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Mat 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

Ok. How does this change anything? Jesus established a Church with Peter as the head. By giving Peter the keys and the power to bind and loose he clearly, and in context, made him the head of the church and put him in control.

Now, are you asking what it takes to join the Church, or are you asking what it takes to be saved? I ask this because there are many in all denominations who are members of the individual churches. There are few who will reach Heaven.

In addition Jesus didn’t form denominations. He formed one visible and universal Church under the stewardship of Peter and his successors.

So, if you want a discussion on salvation theology, please clearly say so instead of asking about membership in the Church.

Acts 2:37-42

Thanks for posting the verses and your interpretation of these verses.

The Lord Jesus is called Savior because He saves and not baptism. So the Lord Jesus is the Savior and He saves people and makes them a member of His Church.

1ke made the following comments;

Seems like baptism + … + … etc = membership of the Lord Jesus’ Church.

So when you do it it’s “citing scripture” but when other people do it it’s “cutting and pasting a couple of verses”?

Okay. Jesus saves.

How does He normatively do this? Through the sacrament of Baptism which He established.

Seems straightforward to me.

Thanks for posting all of what the Lord Jesus’ said in Matt 16. Now we see that the Lord Jesus is the Rock.

Jesus established a Church with Peter as the head.

Are you trying to suggest that the Lord Jesus isn’t the head of His Church or are you trying to suggest that He is joint head with Peter?

Now, are you asking what it takes to join the Church, or are you asking what it takes to be saved?

Can you be in the Lord Jesus’ Church without Him saving you. Can you be saved by the Lord Jesus the Savior and not be in His Church?

In addition Jesus didn’t form denominations.

Agree!

The Church is the Body of Christ>

“And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.” (Ephesians 1:22-23)

We are baptized into Christ.

“for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” (Galatians 3:27)

Therefore, in order to be baptized into the Body of Christ we must be baptized into His Church.

[size=3]Joh 6:48 I am that bread of life.
Joh 6:49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
Joh 6:50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Joh 6:52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
Joh 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Joh 6:58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
[/size]

Have you ever, in faith, partaken of His Flesh and Blood, recognizing it as such?

[size=3][size=3]1Co 11:23[/size]

For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord’s death till he come.
1Co 11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
1Co 11:28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
1Co 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.

Having the faith to obey Christ in all things leads to salvation. Faith which does not obey leads to death.

Peter reinforced Jesus call for the necessity of baptism in his discourse in Acts, Paul reinforced Jesus call to partake of His Body and Blood in 1 Corinthians.

Both of these things, done in faith and obedience are necessary for salvation. There are other things that Jesus told us are necessary. Can you name one of them?
[/size]

Not in Matthew 16:18 He isn’t. He is referring to Peter. Peter is also Petros in Greek or Kepha in Aramaic.

Are you trying to suggest that the Lord Jesus isn’t the head of His Church or are you trying to suggest that He is joint head with Peter?

Peter was left in charge of the Church by Jesus after the ascension. John 21 makes this clear.

Can you be in the Lord Jesus’ Church without Him saving you. Can you be saved by the Lord Jesus the Savior and not be in His Church?

No. What’s your point?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.