How do you deal with Anti-Catholicism?

Over the past year and still going on today, I have expirienced Anti-Catholicism in a lot of places. It’s gotten me to defend my faith, but it has also made me cry at times. It’s as bad as racism.

Some of the message boards I’ve been to say things like “Catholics don’t have it right” and celibacy and the priest hood is not good(they think all priests are child molestors and all popes are false prophets). Another thing that scares me is how these people believe it. Also, they say Easter is brought from the name of a Babylonian goddess and we are pagan by worshipping Mary and saints and the Pope and we’re going to hell because we worship a religion and don’t read the Bible. We also killed millions who didn’t agree with us according to them, it’s some of the stuff I hear on the boards and they use Scripture to prove it.

Anyone who has been to the page on imdb.com for the Showtime or HBO “Our Fathers” had a debate on their message board between a Protestant and a Catholic, it wasn’t very good.

Sometimes when I hear about the Rapture and all, it almost sounds like it is true and us Catholics are pissing Jesus and God off. (Excuse my language :frowning: ).

Seeing the movie Constantine (the comics are better) and the Anti-Catholic stuff in there, a born again Christian I know at work liked it. She also didn’t have a nice tone in her voice when talking about Catholics. I just don’t understand how you can be Christian and be so bigoted!

The sad part is they really don’t understand what Catholics really believe. They read anti-Catholic material and thinks that’s the real deal!

But getting to the point, as Catholics, how does everyone here put up with this stuff? I’m always considering becoming agnostic. I’ve also been reading up on Judaism and other religions. I guess not everyone is going to agree with you. I’ve also been reading Scripture to defend our faith too.

I do pray every night that Jesus will lead to me to his church, but something has been leading me back to the Catholic Church.

I’m sorry if my post was long, I’ve been having these feelings for a long time.

[quote=Sub-Zero]But getting to the point, as Catholics, how does everyone here put up with this stuff?

With a lot of prayer! I really try to keep a positive attitude about life and try not to let things bother me too much. After all, there are people out there who will have a problem with just about anything.

I’m always considering becoming agnostic. I’ve also been reading up on Judaism and other religions. I guess not everyone is going to agree with you. I’ve also been reading Scripture to defend our faith too.

Keep learning! There is nothing wrong with finding out about other religions, but don’t forget about Catholicism! Read some books geared towards the beginner apologist, books helping us to defend our faith etc. Read books that help put Scripture into perspective.

I do pray every night that Jesus will lead to me to his church, but something has been leading me back to the Catholic Church.

I will pray for you. Don’t get discouraged. And there are always these forums to help you out…

Malia

[/quote]

First of all, don’t consider becoming anything. Just because you have everyone telling you this and that it doesn’t mean they’re right! Remember above all that when Jesus Himself were here, everyone went around telling Him He was wrong too. Remember above all that you have the truth. Don’t go leaving the truth because of other people. I voted for George Bush the past two elections. Am I going to change just because everyone says I was wrong? Now politics is not the point. You could be the biggest Bush-basher alive. My point is to consider other parts of your life. Did you vote? Are you planning on voting next time? Would you change just because some people disagreed? I don’t think so. I think you’d do some research, figure out who was the best to vote for, and vote for them. Would you stop doing everything else you do just because people disagree? I hope not!

Stand firm for the truth. Remember that Jesus said that we would be hated for following Him.

Also, come here and ask your questions. For instance, all the points you mentioned being attacked for are just total garbage. Do you worship Mary? I know I certainly don’t. In fact, I’ve never heard anyone accusing us of worshipping the Pope! That’s a new one, lol. Remember, 85% of the objections you’re gonna hear are about people that don’t have a clue what you really believe. How can they be right in saying you are wrong when they don’t even know what you really believe? The other 15% of the people who actually know what you believe can be answered and are aswered here every day.

There are people who say that anyone who gets an operation or takes medicine is going to Hell. Doesn’t make it true!

Sub Zero:

How do I deal with it?

I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: The Blessed Sacrament. There you will find romance, glory, honor, fidelity and the true way of all your loves on earth.

JRR Tolkien

in XT.

Wow your post really hits home with the readings from this weekends mass. At least they do to me :slight_smile:

Is 55 6-9
Ph 1:20-24, 27
Ma 20 1-16a

Our Priest had a great homily putting these three into perspective. Do not compare yourself to what you are hearing others say… Is 55:9 As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.

Take this to prayer and ask God :Where am I at with you? Then let his answer in His time. Do not worry so much about earthly terms, think heavenly. No consolation for the immdiate worries of the nay sayers but… Seek the truth.

I will pray for you

Eric

[quote=Sub-Zero]The sad part is they really don’t understand what Catholics really believe. They read anti-Catholic material and thinks that’s the real deal!
[/quote]

You got that right! Just bear in mind that the trash they feed you is just that…fictional trash and misinformation. I know…I’ve been exactly where you are.

But getting to the point, as Catholics, how does everyone here put up with this stuff? I’m always considering becoming agnostic. I’ve also been reading up on Judaism and other religions. I guess not everyone is going to agree with you. I’ve also been reading Scripture to defend our faith too.

God forbid that you should abandon faith (and most especially your Catholic faith!) because of the lies, and false allegations as well as the derisions of (mostly) fundamentalist non-Catholics who feel that their bigotry is a form of “witnessing” for the Lord. I WAS one of them for over 34 years and I KNOW that that is the way that they see their “witnessing”. It’s more ego feeding than faithful and I have sometimes simply given as good as I got, which often surprises and upsets them. Nothing works with some of them, but those are the ones that are too opinionated and blindly ignorant to even waste time talking to. I just walk away from them.

The honest questioners, I treat as friends and share with them anything that they need, but refuse to tolerate bigotry and insults from anyone.

Keep it up and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. The fullness of truth awaits you…

I do my best to never be as nasty to an a-C as they are to us. To me it’s a matter of personal integrity. One really has to know one’s faith…to know why we believe the things that we believe. I don’t mean ya have to be a theologian, but to be able to answer the questions (and the other stuff as well). I just got all into the study of the faith and fell in love with it all over again.

I completed the entire FREE Catholic Home Study Service courses (and begged for more!) and I have the entire Beginning Apologetics Series from San Juan Catholic Seminars which pretty much answers anything that you will run accross that is even remotely likely. I highly recommend them both to you!

Also any and all of the “Surprised By Truth” books. I cried at how stupid I have been in leaving the church and the spiritual riches of our most holy faith as I read some of those stories.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything at all my friend. :thumbsup:
Pax tecum,

1 Corinthians 15:10

• But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me. *

It is by the grace of God alone that I am able to see His Truth. They see what they can and I trust that God has not lifted the veil from their eyes at this point in time for a reason…perhaps they are not ready for the Truth. I know that I certainly wasn’t for the longest time even though I though I had the Truth all along.

Because my reversion came late in life (40s) I am a living reminder of God doing things in His own time, not ours. I trust in Him and will leave the timing of others’ conversion in His hands. In the meantime, I strive to live the Truth and speak it when necessary.

To all those who posted, Thanks!

It’s just at times, I do question the Catholic Church. But I keep going back to it! :o

But there was also something else, I heard some people talking about a book called Babylon Mystery Religion. Is that something I shouldn’t be reading? I know the anti-Catholics call the church Babylonian. Is it anti-Catholic?

Read about “The Whore of Babylon” arguments here…
catholic.com/library/Whore_of_Babylon.asp

The symbolic designation “Babylon” given by John in Revelations narrows it down to two: pagan Rome and apostate Jerusalem. Most scholars believe the ‘Whore’ to Jerusalem because of this description “‘Rejoice over her, O heaven! Rejoice, saints and apostles and prophets! God has judged her for the way she treated you’. . . .”

Only Israel persecuted both apostles and prophets.

Given your comments about how you are having questions about the Catholic faith I’d be very careful reading a book that did not have an Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat

[quote=Sub-Zero]Over the past year and still going on today, I have expirienced Anti-Catholicism in a lot of places. It’s gotten me to defend my faith, but it has also made me cry at times. It’s as bad as racism.
It is racism.
Some of the message boards I’ve been to say things like “Catholics don’t have it right” and celibacy and the priest hood is not good(they think all priests are child molestors

Some of the nicest people I have ever met are either preists or nuns. yes the church needs to act tougher on the pedophiles. in my opinion they should be striped of all protection and left for the wolves.

Seeing the movie Constantine (the comics are better) and the Anti-Catholic stuff in there, a born again Christian I know at work liked it. She also didn’t have a nice tone in her voice when talking about Catholics. I just don’t understand how you can be Christian and be so bigoted!

The sad part is they really don’t understand what Catholics really believe. They read anti-Catholic material and thinks that’s the real deal!
they hate the church because they hate the truth.
Think about it, your church is 2,000yrs old. It was founded by a man who didn’t just live around the time of Jesus, but by a man who actually walked side by side with Jesus. A man who spoke face to face with Jesus, broke bread with Jesus. Who founded their church? some whacko who deep down didn’t have the strength or courage to follow Jesus the way Jesus wanted us too.

But getting to the point, as Catholics, how does everyone here put up with this stuff?
I just put my hand in their face and say "BEGONE FROM ME SATAN!!"lol just joking I’m always considering becoming agnostic. I’ve also been reading up on Judaism and other religions.
Then i guess satan wins.But if you leave then you leave i suppose, it’s just a shame that you must lose your faith because of lies. But just remember the chruch has been around for a very very long time, so it has a very long history. So don’t be discourage if you don’t know the whole history off by heart. I don’t think there is a person on this planet who does. But still there are people when they are working togther do.

[/quote]

I think you might have mis-spoke in stating who founded our Church. You can see clearly in Matthew’s Gospel that Jesus founded the Church on Peter. Jesus founded the Catholic Church, and promised the gates of hell wouldn’t prevail. Just seek that Church.

God Bless
Scylla

I deal with anti-catholicism by just trying to preach the truth in love. Just preach the truth and love the person who thinks the Catholic Church is bad, because if what they were saying and what they believe of the Catholic Church was fully true I wouldn’t be Catholic.

If the Catholic Church really was headed by the anti-christ, all priests were pedophiles and power hungry, Jesus didn’t really found the Church, the Church added books to the Bible after Martin Luther discovered it and all the rest of that Jack Chick stuff, etc, etc… then it is a giant conspiracy organization designed to destroy us.
I love the Catholic Church, not these lies, these caricatures.

It’s hard on either side to have someone come in and either ridicule you for something you DEEPLY believe or to totally try to tear you down and the faith that you so dearly hold in your heart, mind, and soul. It’s discouraging to say the least. I have had much empathy for those who follow the catholic faith. Though I don’t understand it fully I do know that those who are emersed in it love it with all that they have. Just as I do in my protestant faith. But I am beginning to find that the catholic faith doesn’t have the hold on persecution and misunderstanding that I thought it once did. EVERYONE of EVERY faith experiences it. The catholics from the protestants and the protestants from the catholics. Each tear the other down and try to demolish what the other one holds so dear.

Just remember, as much as you love your faith and can’t imagine not having it there so does the person who loves their protestant faith.

This is a time for understanding and patience. You may not think that the BODY of Christ is the church that Jesus started but I do. I don’t think that Jesus had in mind the Roman Catholic Church but the catholic (universal) church which would include ANYONE who follows Christ and believes that He is their savior. But I have gotten off course…

All I want to say is that you may feel like the world is out to get the catholic faith but, in actuallity, the world is out to get ANYONE who loves Christ and what He did for us. :slight_smile:

Very good point Singingbeauty, the world does treat Christians with disdain and prejudice. I have felt it, yet as Catholics we are particularly singled out.

If you would like to do something for fun just start doing the sign of the Cross a few Sundays at church when you go. There is nothing wrong with signing it, but do it in front of your pastor and congregation and I am sure you will be approached about it. Not because it is wrong, but deep down it is very Catholic.

Unless your church is very different from Calvary Chapel, where I attended there is usually an undercurrent of anti-catholicism in some of these churches.

I experience it often being a Catholic, from jokes about Catholics\Priests to digs at “not being christian”. I don’t mind anymore and wish to share my faith with others, but for some people it does hurt and take a little getting used to.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=Sub-Zero]Over the past year and still going on today, I have expirienced Anti-Catholicism in a lot of places. It’s gotten me to defend my faith, but it has also made me cry at times. It’s as bad as racism.

Some of the message boards I’ve been to say things like “Catholics don’t have it right” and celibacy and the priest hood is not good(they think all priests are child molestors and all popes are false prophets). Another thing that scares me is how these people believe it. Also, they say Easter is brought from the name of a Babylonian goddess and we are pagan by worshipping Mary and saints and the Pope and we’re going to hell because we worship a religion and don’t read the Bible. We also killed millions who didn’t agree with us according to them, it’s some of the stuff I hear on the boards and they use Scripture to prove it.

Anyone who has been to the page on imdb.com for the Showtime or HBO “Our Fathers” had a debate on their message board between a Protestant and a Catholic, it wasn’t very good.

Sometimes when I hear about the Rapture and all, it almost sounds like it is true and us Catholics are pissing Jesus and God off. (Excuse my language :frowning: ).

[/quote]

Imagine how the first Christians felt - not only did they put up with everything you are describing but if they actually defended their faith they would be thrown into pits with half-starved wild animals and eaten alive.

You are so blessed to be able to suffer with Christ!

Arm yourself with the truth. The best reply to many of those who hate us is to love them, and then point out to them that unless they can offer proof positive of their accusations against the Holy Mother Church then they are breaking the 8th Commandment and are in sin.

Stand strong - remember, you have an army angels and martyred saints on your side.

Try being married to someone who is anti catholic :wink:

To be quite honost, I sadly loose my temper from time to time. (my biggest weekness) did it on a board here about King James Onlyism. Always feel like a schmuck after the fact. Anyway, its something we all must learn to deal with. I have taken a new leave in my spreading the faith. I am on a particular noncatholic board as well. (in fact, I am about the only catholic on there) Anyway, when areguments about cahtoic/noncatholics come up, I simply put up both arguments in detail. Its been amazingly succesfull at not getting critisized and cirtiques line by line. They read the catholic churches view, followed by the protestant line. I am only no starting to learn it isnt my job to “convert” them, but only to plant the seed. Let god handle the cultivation. I think what many, including myself, forget is that protestants are christians too, they just do not have the fullness of truth that the Church has. And yes there are some protestant churches whose teachings go against christianity. But we msut remember, that in general, this is how they were raised and thus, all they know…

Cheers

[quote=Singinbeauty]All I want to say is that you may feel like the world is out to get the catholic faith but, in actuallity, the world is out to get ANYONE who loves Christ and what He did for us. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Singinbeauty, you are exactly right. I had an hour-long meeting with a Catholic priest last week - a very orthodox (faithful to Rome) and holy Christian. I mentioned that I had encountered Catholics who think their church is particularly singled out, and he stopped me before I even finished the sentence. No, he said, ALL Christians are disdained in this society. The two of us came to the conclusion that it may APPEAR at times that Catholics are particularly singled out, but that is because it is hierarchical, which gives its detractors one thing to attack, whereas we as Protestants are divided, and attacks against us must take place on many fronts. Just my opinion, folks, and that of a Catholic priest who doesn’t speak for all Catholic priests.

Now, there are stances within Catholicism which take particular hits in society, such as priestly celibacy (a laudable discipline, IMO), divorce, and artificial birth control.

Dan

I think our goal now should be to unite ALL christians and stop the ridiculous arguing between the denominations.

Protestants get it just as bad as the catholics. Just look at the OP…

I bolded my favorite one… don’t catholics say the EXACT same thing about the protestants? So why is it right for you to say it about the protestants but it’s catholic bashing or anti-catholic even bigotry to say it about the catholics? shrug

I have experienced ‘protestant bashing’ and anti-protestantism from catholics but I am not bothered by it for the most part. Say what you will but I know my heart and my relationship with God. WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF THIS. But we need to stop. Unite. Put away certain differences because when it all boils down to it… It is by the grace of God and the blood of Christ that saves us. Without those two things there would be no christianity and we would have no hope. I take comfort in having these things in common with my catholic brothers and sisters.

As an anti-Catholic, my best advice to you is to just stop your snivelling and whining and suck up the fact that the rest of the rational world thinks you’re delusional. Reject God and you will finally set free of the lie that your life has become.

IN NOMINE DEI NOSTRI SATANAS, LUCIFERI EXCELSI!

Counting the seconds until I get banned…

[quote=Singinbeauty]I think our goal now should be to unite ALL christians and stop the ridiculous arguing between the denominations.

Protestants get it just as bad as the catholics. Just look at the OP…

I bolded my favorite one… don’t catholics say the EXACT same thing about the protestants? So why is it right for you to say it about the protestants but it’s catholic bashing or anti-catholic even bigotry to say it about the catholics? shrug

I know there are Catholics that say the same thing. I didn’t say at all it was right for me to do it. Don’t put words in my mouth Singingbeauty. I’d be just as bad as the anti-Catholic. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

I do feel all Christians should unite. I don’t hate Protestants, I have many good friends who are. I just wish we’d stop this fighting.
[/quote]

How I deal with anti-Catholicism.
[list=1]
*]Bless those who curse you.
*]Pray for them.
*]Unite your suffering with Christ.
*]Be joyful.
*]You are blessed when you are persecuted for righteousness.
*]Teach the truth, many are misinformed.
[/list]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.