How do you deal with anxiety

I’ve made myself so nervous before that I felt sick to my stomach. Nothing seems to help.

The "Flying Novena"praymorenovenas.com/memorare-novena-flying-novena-mother-teresa/ where you say 10 Memorares, 9 for your request plus 1 for a thank you, for a immediate need or and emergency situation. I had wrote out the Memorare on an index card.

I’ve recently learned that deep belly breathing helpful, especially when really stressed.

Exercise and adequate sleep helps. Laying off junk food.

Frequent Confession.

Spending time with wholesome friends and activities.

And the Rosary.

I wish I knew about all those things when I was young.

God Bless you!

Eat a great meal
Have a beer
Pray a rosary
Surf
Hike
Garden
Play with my kids
Intimacy
Vacation
Vacation
Vacation
Shoot at the range
Play a game

Hey brother,

I’m with you on this—this is the same reason I’m in this thread!
I’m having anxiety impacting my life too…

I surrender and let go. “Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.” “Let it be done to me according to you word.”

Our anxiety is often linked to our own will, our desires and dislikes. I may be anxious about what might happen even though there is nothing specific to fear. So I get quiet and repeat the prayers: Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit. Let it be done to me according to your word. Then I try my best to be in the present moment, to become more aware of God’s presence right here and now.

Intense aerobic exercise, like fast walking for at least 20 minutes, does wonders for anxiety attacks. There are many herbal supplements that you can google, but I found they work best for mild anxiety. I’ve tried many: GABA, glycine, taurine, theonine, magnesium, valerian, kava, lemon balm. I found that when taken together, they are mildly sedating.

Cut out or severely reduce TV.
Cut out or severely reduce radio, especially talk radio.
Cut out or severely reduce watching or listening to the news.
Cut out or severely reduce facebook or twitter.
Start your day off with prayer, NOT THE NEWS!

The rosary is incredibly relaxing, I take what I call rosary naps. Say the rosary as you lay down with your eyes closed, rest.

Increase Mass attendance, confession, prayers.
Ask God to help you to simplify your life.
Go see a doctor, especially if the above suggestions aren’t enough.
Do some targeted reading about things in your life, that may be stressing you out.
Continue to ask for prayers.

Hope this helps

Hi OP,

I wanted to hear others reply to this thread first before I shared anything.
What I do to help me with my anxiety is visit the Blessed Sacrament as much as I can.
Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. Going to Jesus and just spending at least one holy hour with him when he is exposed in Eucharistic Adoration is my main emotional support and consolation for handling my anxiety.

Sudoku. Word searches. Music. Saying the Hail Mary over and over. Having a drink you like. Taking a walk.

I use aromatherapy. I burn incense sticks and that usually calms me down.

Yes, brisk walk. Or ping pong which engages your mind and body. Shooting basketball. Golf.

Go to Mass. Listen carefully for these words that the Celebrant prays.

Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day.
In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in
joyful hope for the coming of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Receive Holy Communion.
Repeat the next day and the next…

Prayer, my wife, and Teddy Bears. Pretty much in that order.

Keep yourself busy.

Also alcohol. But treat this method with respect. It’s a slippery slope. I know how to moderate myself with it but some people don’t.

:thumbsup:

Remember the saying “Our hearts are restless until they rest in you” from Augustine.
God wants you to conquer all timidity, as it is said to “Be perfect/holy” as your Father in heaven is. When you know this, and if you still can’t overcome it by yourself, this is when you ask for it completely. Some of us have been graced with what seems like a cutting out of all anxiety like a cancer.

How, besides that asking? Equate mentally the act of being anxious with fear, and remember that it seems we can measure the amount of love we have of God by the amount of fear we have in our hearts. This is to say, although the beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord, that we are to translate from this into a steadfast love that has no room whatsoever for anxiety. Practically speaking, one must practice being perfectly trusting and being thankful in and to the divine will, and timidity and anxiety will not and can not remain.

At least this seems to be the case for some of us. Others may have to continually ask for “back-up” if you know what I’m saying.

Remember also that without the proper moral configuration, it seems anxiety may be useful in a subtle manner. That is to say it seems likely it is overcome, hopefully, after the appropriate rectitude has taken place. Otherwise, what remains is a “frightful egotism”. God forbid.:cool:

I listen to music or do yoga.

I’ve been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and Xanax works wonders! But I think that my getting off the Internet, including Facebook and CAF, and using the time for contemplative prayer instead is what I need to work on next!

The rosary! Our Lady has never failed me when my heart is fearful. :slight_smile:

I see a psychologist at least once a week.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.