How do you defend against claims of Paganism and lack of the Trinity?

How do you defend against:

1. Claims of paganism all in the Roman Catholic church? Such as this site here which someone pointed out to me. aloha.net/%7Emikesch/monstr.htm It also has scripture to back it up.

2. That there is no such thing as the Trinity? They said this in scripture to go against the Trinity:

The Lord our God, the Lord is One. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength You are right in saying that God is One, and there is no other but Him. (Mark 12:29, 30, 32)

Old Testament

“There is no one like You, O Lord, and there is no God but You.” (1 Chronicles 17:20)

You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides Him, there is no other. (Deuteronomy 4:35)

What should I use to back up the Trinity?

1. Also, what about when Jesus waited 3 days and 3 nights before he rose? When it was Friday night to Sunday Morning?

Heres a good answer

Are Catholics Pagan?
The cross was a pagan symbol **"1. It is almost impossible to avoid symbolism that hasn’t at some time or another been used in a pagan context.
2. John 1:1 tells us that “all things came into being through him and without him not one thing came into being” therefore, Christians should pick up the tools that are around and use them to evangelize in the name of Jesus.

I think this is what the Catholic Church did 2000 years ago and that is what Evangelicals are doing today."** ©2003 D. MacDonald

Is Catholicism Pagan?

If we went pagan under Constantine the how come the Emperor Julian persecuted the church less than 50 years later because we weren’t pagan.

See this thread. The Great Apostasy
Pax tecum,

I’m reading an interesting book by Benedict XVI right now. It’s basically about all the world religions and philosophys. In it he says that all the religions of the world can be viewed as preparation for the truths of Catholicism. I’ve often thought along those lines. You see God has implanted his laws on all men’s hearts (Rom 2:15). Futher all creation cries out to the glory of God. Now a part of the law is that men have a natural desire to worship that created the universe, though it takes divine revelation to know him. It is also natural for man to see God in creation, thus using creation as symbols like Christianity does. Where am I headed with this?

Well in ACts 17 Paul goes to Athens and there he comes accross an altar to an unknown God, amongst all the shrines and altars to other Gods. Paul uses this altar as a springboard for proclaimng christ to them. He does not condemn this God of theirs but says:

21: Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.
22: So Paul, standing in the middle of the Are-op’agus, said: "Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious.
23: For as I passed along, and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, `To an unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you.

Paul is essentially looking for what is true in what they believe, i.e. using it to help them understand Christ. St. Francis Xavier was great at this. He converted nearly 1 million people.

A missionary came to our parish a few years ago. New Guinea was where his mission was and the people there used to be canabals even in to the 1940’s. Well lo and behold they found it very easy to understand the Eucharist, coincidentally.

The point of all of this is that what comes out as natural to man, though it may be used in paganism is not neccessarily false. So even if there was some part in a pagan religion that pre-dated the Judeo Christian understanding, that does not mean that it is false and exclusive to paganism. The three wise men knew of Christ’s coming and where it would be before the Jews, so what. “The wind blows where it will”. Though I do think you will find that in most cases the pagan lands got their ideas from the Jews. It is unavoidable to not have some pagan influence (which is not neccessarily false). Paul quotes the pagan sages a couple of times. For exmaple, here:

14: And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, `Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It hurts you to kick against the goads.’

I hope this helps.

Blessings

[quote=crono_vivi]How do you defend against:

1. Claims of paganism all in the Roman Catholic church? Such as this site here which someone pointed out to me. aloha.net/%7Emikesch/monstr.htm It also has scripture to back it up.

[/quote]

Complete nonsense. Do you worship the sun god?? Do I? Does any Catholic worship Isis, Horus and Osiris? NO?? Does any Catholic worship Baal? NO?? Well then the charge against us is obviously a fabrication.

Thanks for the replies. Can you guys address my last 2 questions? Not sure if you saw those. :slight_smile:

[quote=crono_vivi]How do you defend against:

2. That there is no such thing as the Trinity? They said this in scripture to go against the Trinity:

The Lord our God, the Lord is One. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength You are right in saying that God is One, and there is no other but Him. (Mark 12:29, 30, 32)

Old Testament

“There is no one like You, O Lord, and there is no God but You.” (1 Chronicles 17:20)

You were shown these things so that you might know that the Lord is God; besides Him, there is no other. (Deuteronomy 4:35)

What should I use to back up the Trinity?

1. Also, what about when Jesus waited 3 days and 3 nights before he rose? When it was Friday night to Sunday Morning?
    [/quote]

I suggest you read all the CA tracts, study the Church (including its beliefs, practices, history, and origins), and read the Bible. You should not interpret the Bible on your own, but you must interpret the Bible in a way that does not contradict the Church. The Church is the measuring tape of Biblical interpretation. The Trinity has always been believed by Christians and always will be. Jesus is God. The Holy Spirit is God. God the Father is God. How is this possible? They are all One! Jesus said so himself that he and the Father were One! They are One in essence. How are they one? It is a mystery that human intelligence can not solve.

The Holy Trinity in the bible
and Defense of the Trinity

Look, those passages from the Bible about God being one are exactly what Catholics believe. We believe that God is one God. We simply would add to that within the one God there are three persons. These passages do not contradict Catholic theology. They arfirm our belief in monotheism.

[quote=crono_vivi]Thanks for the replies. Can you guys address my last 2 questions? Not sure if you saw those. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

As far as The Holy Trinity is concerned no problems. See Luke 1:35

“The Holy Spirit (3rd person of the The Holy Trinity) will come upon you and the power of the Most High (God the Father and 1st person of the The Holy Trinity) will overshadow you; hence the Holy offspring to be born will be called the Son of God (Jesus who is the 2nd person of the The Holy Trinity)”.

As for the 3 days & 3 nights what were/is the scripyual reference?

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.