How Do You Defend Your Catholic Faith Against Muslims?

Hi guys! To those Catholic Apologists here, I just wanted to know on how I can defend my Catholic Faith with our Muslim brothers who are trying to start a debate with me. I don’t know, I am not very good in debating our Muslim brothers because I only debate our protestant brothers. Please I need your help guys… Please Lend me some of your knowledge…

Here is the kind of debate of our Muslim brother that he’s trying to throw in me (It is originally said in our language which is ‘‘Tagalog’’):

"It is truly that there is only One God, and that is the Creator. Your Jesus was only a man, and was created by God our Creator. He (Jesus) was only a Prophet of God but not a God. Your Jesus is a son of Mary and NOT a son of God. It is truly that we only have to worship One God and Him alone. God was not conceived and did not have a child and nothing is like Him.

Jesus was only a human like you! He (Jesus) gets hungry and eat, and after he eat he poop. Jesus thirst and drink and after he drink he urinate. Most of all he prays to God, so if he is the God, like what you Catholics say, then why was he always praying to God? You have to search for the Truth my countryman!’’

And that was the kind of argument that our Muslim Brother is trying to start with me. And I really don’t even know how to counter his accusations to us Catholics. I know they don’t believe in THE BIBLE. So guys please lend me a knowledge on how to answer that.

Thank You very much for reading… Peace guys…

God Bless Us All! †PAX†

†JHS†

Tell him we agree that there is only One God that is the Creator.

Tell him that Mohammad who taught you this was only a man who had human limitations in his thinking and his memory and in what he thinks He heard God say. Ask him what makes Mohammad a better prophet than Jesus when Jesus did not try to copy any prior teachings and came 600 years sooner than Mohammad. Tell him that Jesus taught us that he was the Son of God and “One with the Father” and that Jesus actualy worked MANY miracles in the presence of MANY witnesses. Ask him what miracle Mohammad performed that proves he is a great prophet. Ask Him to explain how Mohammad was a holy man ( a requirement for a prophet) in his use of the sword to spread his teachings and take possessions of all who did not agree with him. Ask him if he thinks that the Creator of all the peaceful universe has chosen Mohammad to have this forceful nature and have him explain why Jesus was just like the Creator’s peaceful nature since he healed the sick and never performed violence or taught violence.

Mohammed “the man” is the very weak link in Islam. He has NO redeeming qualities that emulate any of the early prophets. He is not holy, he changed his teachings often, he took many wives and many treasures and killed many people. Jesus had NONE of that.

Ask him why Mohammad is a better Prophet that Jesus when Mohammad worked not one single miracle to prove that he was God’s spokesperson.

Ask him why he judges that God is not so powerful that he could put powerful words into the mouth of the prophets but not put himself into the womb of a virgin to present himself in the image of man? Ask him why Muslims say that “God is Great” but then say God is not so Great that He could not do ANYTHING he wanted too - including making himself into a holy man named Jesus. There has been no one “like God” and there has likewise been no one like Jesus in all of history. Mohammad on the other hand was JUST like most men - set on power, riches, women and conquest. Jesus was the opposite and interested in only teaching humanity his truths and did not even have the single luxury of a pillow for his head.

Explain that Mohammad was only a human like you. Mohammad could have made mistakes on what he imagined God told him. There is no proof that anything Mohammad said was true and some of what Mohammad has said is traceable to earlier Christian texts and earlier Jewish texts - so Mohammad is not even speaking all original teachings. Explain that Jesus warned us that false prophets would come after him and how do they know that Mohammad was not a false prophet?

As for why Jesus prayed to God if he was God explain that the mystery of Christ’s dual nature - being both man and God required that He set the example for how humans should pray and communicate to God. As for searching for the truth tell him then why does he not listen to the prophet Jesus’ words that “I am the way, the TRUTH, and the life” and no one comes go God except through Me? Ask him why he accepts Jesus’ as a prophet but refuses to listen to his teachings?

The sad thing here is that you will have to often discredit Mohammad by showing examples of his poor life example compared to other prophets that preceded him. That will make them defensive. They will not want to read the real histories.

James

Does it really make any difference what the followers of a religion started by a pedophile believe about us?

My study of the Muslim faith is still very new, but from what I have read so far, I think the best debate position - still to be tested - is to focus on having them prove that Jesus was “just a man”. They are taught that Jesus was “just a man”, that he did not die, but was taken up to heaven and did not suffer on the cross. He did not raise again from the dead. Who taught them that, and on what proof do they base it?
For your part you need to research ancient historians for proof that Jesus DID DIE on the cross. That Jesus DID perform miracles that "just a man’ could not do.
Put a doubt in their mind on the tenacity of their belief that Jesus was just a man. Research Josephus, who was one of the earliest historians, who I believe made reference to Jesus and His life and death.
Best I can do for now.

Can’t you simply tell him that you don’t find Islam convincing enough, and you find far more evidence in favor of the Christian religion?

Why argue with a guy who has a list of propaganda a mile long?

The Qu’ran holds the Gospels in high regard. Ask them why that is. Through that discussion they will probably get along to saying the Gospels were corrupted. Then ask them for the proof. You’ll find they won’t have any except to point to the Qu’ran which says so – thus, a circular argument.

Poke around on this site and you will find some good information. More info here.

Lots of groups - various Protestants, Jehova Witnesses, Mormons, etc. - prey on Catholics. All try to “prove” the Catholic Church false, and if the Catholic falls for it they just go along with whatever group convinced them…without that group having to prove the truth of itself.

It is not enough for Muslims to “prove” Christianity false. They also have to prove that Islam is true.

One can use all of the arguments against Islam that your Muslims use against Christ: Mohammed was just a man; not a prophet of God, etc.

Really, these guys are just using bald assertations…we can do the same.

Their main problem is in failing to accept the Incarnation.

In my view, Islam is a kind of Judeao-Christian heresy.

PS: They will eventually get to the Trinity. Point out that there is a kind of analogy in nature: siamese twins. Two persons in one body. So it is conceivable of three persons in one God. (There may even be cases of siamese triplets.) A way of nature pointing to the possibility of the Trinity…?

This is true i use it quite frequently. It is effective because it leaves them with the burden of having to provide proof and most of the Bible quotes they’ll use to disprove His Divinity can actually be used to prove it.

Edit: Also when they attack Paul for being a sort of “self confirmed prophet”. Turn there own logic against them and use it to falsify Muhammad for being a “self confirmed prophet”

Thank You Very Much for your reply Bro. James! You’ve given me a very clear and very good points here. Thank You again for the effort in giving me some of the tricks on how to counter their arguments :thumbsup::slight_smile:

We are all one, In the Body of Christ! We are Catholics!!! :thumbsup::slight_smile:

Thank You very much guys for all of your replies. I really appreciate it!:thumbsup::):):slight_smile:

Thank You Julian :):thumbsup:

Ask him if Mohammad ever killed anyone.
Ask him if Mohammad ever had sex with a young girl.

easy as pie!!! I, myself live in a mixed country and i always defend my christian belief against those sinners.
If a muslim came to you and started to argue with you about your religion just say:“if you are still defending islam, just i want to give you this information about mohamed: First he was a christian, his mom was too, he was baptised and raised on the catholic faith by “””“pastor (bouhaira)”""""" and when he started his road of informating the atheists that jesus came here etc…, they didn’t understand what the bible means, so he wrote the quran( they claim that quran was given to mohamed by god(allah=the same thing) in a way that fits their little knowledge. And he said to them that allah gave his this book. So the atheists made him a “rassul” and made the muslim religion!!!
And if you read the bible and read the quran, you will find out that quran is the same copy of the bible!!

QUOTE=Orthodox Help;6111022]

… ~ snip ~ .

If a muslim came to you and started to argue with you about your religion just say:"if you are still defending islam, just i want to give you this information about mohamed: First he was a christian,

Whoa there - hold your horses… :eek:

The islamic prophet mohamad was **never **a Christian…

**Please back up your statement from actual historical facts and cite your sources. **

his mom was too,

His mother was **never **a Christian

**Please back up your statement from actual historical facts and cite your sources. **

he was baptised and raised on the catholic faith by “”"“pastor (bouhaira)”"""""

The prophet of islam, mohamad was **not **baptised & raised in the Catholic Faith.

and when he started his road of informating the atheists that jesus came here etc…,

I don’t understand this, please explain.

they didn’t understand what the bible means,

I concur with this statement

so he wrote the quran

Technicaly, there was **no **written quran during mohamads time.

It was compiled and put in written/recital form during Uthman’s reign and it is **not **in any chronological order.

( they claim that quran was given to mohamed by god(allah=the same thing) in a way that fits their little knowledge.

Yes and no ~ the self proclaimed prophet of islam, mohamad, claimed that the Angel Gabriel appreared to him and recited the quran during his 23 year of self proclaimed prophethood.

And he said to them that allah gave his this book.

OK

So the atheists made him a “rassul” and made the muslim religion!!!

OK

And if you read the bible and read the quran, you will find out that quran is the same copy of the bible!!

Whoa!!! Once again, not true. Please, there is no “copy” of the Biblical stories in the islamic book called the koran.

The koran is a hodge-podge-mish-mash-butchered up heretical stories.

Read about Moses and Adam and Abraham and Mother Mary & Jesus in the koran.

Not the same as our Bible poster!

Jesus Christ is LORD and in the koran he is reduced to a mere man, a prophet and islams self proclaimed prophet is above Our Jesus Christ The LORD!

@ OP - please look at the web site provided below. It will help you understand and therefore be able to debate/defend your Catholic Faith.

**Credit posting/referal due to SedonaMan taken from the “Non-Catholic Forum”

If you are really interested in an objective, dispassionate look at Islam, see “Evidentiary Religions – Islam Introduction” biblestudying.net/islam1.html.

It is a long analysis, but you can get the thesis by skipping over the numerous references, and then go back and review them. **

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=6117186&postcount=15

Hi Manilaboy7,

I am like you, I am not very good in debating.

Maybe this might help you. Muslims believe that Mohammad was a greater prophet than Jesus. But they also believe in the virginal birth of Jesus. They hold Mary in very high regard! According “wikipedia”, the mother of Jesus is considered the most righteous woman in Islam en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Mary

SO, Muslims do believe that Jesus was the son of Mary and they do believe he was conceived without the intervention of a human father. The Koran describes that an angel appeared to Mary, to announce to her the “gift of a holy son”.

Ask your friend to explain how why Mohammad is a greater prophet than Jesus if Jesus was born from the most righteous woman in Islam but Mohammad was not. Why would God allow Mohammad to be born from a less righteous or a less holy woman?

Greater still, ask your friend to explain how why Mohammad is a greater prophet when Jesus was born in such spectacular fashion? If God allowed Jesus to be born without a human father, then whose was his father? The only explanation that makes any sense is that God must be the father of Jesus and that makes Jesus greater than Mohammad.

Thanks Brothers for this wonderful message and facts that islam is not the true road to salvation.
Yes mohammed was just a man who lived by the sword.

May we share the Good News of Jesus Christ to the whole world.

Come, LORD JESUS
Amen

Ahh… I’ve been meaning to catch up on my Islamic studies. :rolleyes:

This thread did just fine. No need to read the Qur’an anymore. :thumbsup:

Hi Manilaboy7,

One of the most difficult things to argue about whith muslims is the Trinity, most christians can’t even begin to explain it. I’d suggest that you not start by explaining the Trinity to them but point out the phylosophical and metaphysical questions that a unipersonal God raises. E.g. the names of Allah describe him as being mercyful, loving, etc. Many of those adjectives describe Allah as a relational God. Ask them how a non relational God(Allah before he created anyone) can become relational if that’s outside his reality. Who did Allah loved, had mercy on, glorified before he created someone??? Where did he learn that from? Where does the knowledge of otherness comes from in Allah??? What or who was the incentive for his creation? But first I suggest you read a lot about the trinity.

Another difficult subject for muslims is the quran as the uncreated word of God, so there are 2 eternal entities Allah and the quran which is against their strict monotheism, there have been holy wars among muslims because of this. They ussually tell you that the subject has been solve and that many muslim schollars have explain the subject but they have no idea how to explain it nor they give any citations.

BTW I posted about the trinity, the knowledge doesn’t come from me, it’s about things I’ve read on the trinity from theologians:

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=6191419&postcount=82

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Oh and Manilaboy7, whatever you do don’t start insulting Muhamed by saying he was a pedophile, murderer, false prophet and the like. They will be terribly offended and you will loose them. Even if you think those claims are true you should excercise charity and respect. Just get to the point and try to show them the inconsistancies of their beliefs.

Bless you, good luck :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.