How do you define success in life?

How do you define success in life?

If you don’t live up to other’s expectation do you feel you have failed?
Is success about graduating, or that career, savings etc, or is it something more?

Perhaps your thoughts here might help others feeling under pressure to live up to expectations.

For me success is living closer to Jesus’ message. Living with compassion, doing my best, living honestly and simply.

And always remembering God’s saving grace.

Success in this miserable and corrupt world is failure.

success in life is getting to heaven.

By doing God's will for me in this life, that by Him I might make a difference.

Success is following Jesus in all things. Ultimately, success does not really come in this world, but when we are united with God in heaven. Success can be measured by corporal or spiritual benchmarks. Jesus showed us how to achieve success when he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven.

I would think once we are in heaven we would want to forget about our lifes here on earth. At least the things trhat upset, saddin us, disapointed us and so on

I would also like to thinkthat their is no such thing as success in this world. It's just something someone came up with

Success cannot be measured by the standards of this world, as everything in this world is temporary. Success can only be measured by our final destination after death. If I make it to Heaven, I will have succeeded. If I do not, I will have failed.

However, int terms of purely temporal success, I will consider my life a success if my wife becomes a practicing Catholic, and if I raise devout Children who's chose to do God's will.

[quote="ProdglArchitect, post:8, topic:325469"]
Success cannot be measured by the standards of this world, as everything in this world is temporary. Success can only be measured by our final destination after death. If I make it to Heaven, I will have succeeded. If I do not, I will have failed.

However, in terms of purely temporal success, I will consider my life a success if my wife becomes a practicing Catholic, and if I raise devout Children who chose to do God's will.

[/quote]

:yup::yup:

This. I would be thrilled if the Holy Spirit helped my husband come back to being a faithful Catholic as I know he was devout as a young boy. I pray for that every day and every night. But I cannot guarantee that my husband will overcome his own objections and come back home. I have to do what is right and just turn the rest over to God.

Remember Jesus told us not to build up stores on the earth where rust will corrupt and mold will rot, but to build up our treasures in Heaven where our true home is.

I see a lot of what the world calls "successful" people as being some of the most miserable and sinful people on earth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.