How do you do the Divine Office daily?

It seems long to me to do morning and evening prayers. Any suggestions? What do you usually do?

I pray them in community. Even with an opening hymn and a song to Mary sung (Carmelite tradition is that we do this at the end of every prayer in community, not just Night Prayer) at the end it only takes 15 minutes or so.

it is less than 15 minutes when said privately, so I don’t see it as a burden
morning prayer is before the 6:15 Mass in the parish where I live so during the week that works out, and even then it is barely 10 minutes. evening prayer is wherever I am, and if with other catechists or parish staff we often pray it together. I don’t do too well on the time, it can be anywhere from 4:30 to 8:30 depending on my work schedule but I remember most of the time.
on CCD nights we open classes with evening prayer so at least 2 nights sometimes 3 are covered.

I have it on my phone and so in the morning I listen while getting ready for the day. Through out the day if I have a time here and there I will listen then as well.

I pray Morning Prayer first thing in the morning, before getting ready for work. And Evening Prayer as soon as I get home, before I get caught up in pets, dinner, housework, etc. If I try to leave it for later in the evening, it may not happen.:o

You’ve gotten answers about what other people do. Now I have a question for you. If you don’t like Morning and Evening Prayer, why are you doing them? Perhaps another form of prayer would be more beneficial to you.

When I first started to pray i.e. setting times aside for prayer, I was unused to it and the up to 15 minutes it takes to pray Morning and Evening Prayer seemed long. Once it became habitual, and I was accustomed to it, it did not seem long enough.
Perhaps it is that you are unused to the Morning and Evening prayers and it seems long - up to 15 minutes twice daily after all is not long at all in a day, and not long to set aside and give just to God.

TS

Maybe because i have been doing Morning Prayer for a very long time, thus it tkes hardly any time at all considering you are starting the day so beautifully.

But since I have joined the secular carmelites, I do Morning Prayer. Office of Readings, Evening Prayer and Night Prayer. It all varies when I do it...there is no specific time as it were, as long as I pray them. I do feel guilty when I miss one of them.:o

Thinking of put the Office on a possible e-reader I amy receive for Christmas.:o This way I can carry an e-reader so much more easily than the huge 4-volume edition. It also comes with gregorian chant.....:thumbsup:

[quote="st_lucy, post:4, topic:253341"]
I have it on my phone and so in the morning I listen while getting ready for the day. Through out the day if I have a time here and there I will listen then as well.

[/quote]

Mind telling me where you got it? :)

[quote="TradionalWay, post:9, topic:253341"]
Mind telling me where you got it? :)

[/quote]

I have an iPhone and it is app I paid $14 and it has the whole day, most of which are on audio. I also have the daily rosary on audio and the divine mercy. I get daily readings on pod cast.

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:6, topic:253341"]
You've gotten answers about what other people do. Now I have a question for you. If you don't like Morning and Evening Prayer, why are you doing them? Perhaps another form of prayer would be more beneficial to you.

[/quote]

I'm thinking about joining a lay order that does this.

Ah, that’s different.

Perhaps you could choose just one of the hours to pray and get started that way. Morning Prayer is a lovely way to start the day – focusing on God and the day ahead, praying the same psalms that Jesus prayed, and being in tune with the whole Church as different feast days are celebrated.

Or maybe you could pray Evening Prayer, use it as a break to end the busy-ness of the workday and move into the quiet of the evening.

After you establish the habit of praying either morning or evening prayer, it might be easier to add the other hour into your schedule.

You might also look around to see if there is a group that prays the Liturgy of the Hours. In my parish they pray Morning Prayer before the morning Mass. I go to weekday Masses in the evening at another parish and we pray Evening Prayer afterward. I love having a group to pray with so this is an ideal situation for me.

When is Office of readings done? or when do you guys do it?

Midnight,morning?

To begin praying the divine office ,how many books does it come in or how many books would i have to buy?

And is there a new set every year or do you just buy it once to use forever?

[quote="Paul_theApostle, post:13, topic:253341"]
When is Office of readings done? or when do you guys do it?

Midnight,morning?

To begin praying the divine office ,how many books does it come in or how many books would i have to buy?

And is there a new set every year or do you just buy it once to use forever?

[/quote]

In my book Divine Office for Dodos it says you can do OOR any time. I think pre Vat II it was at midnight.

Lauds and Vespers. Lauds takes me maybe 15 minutes, Vespers probably 10 or so. I love the LotH.:)

I have an iPhone and it is app I paid $14 and it has the whole day, most of which are on audio. I also have the daily rosary on audio and the divine mercy. I get daily readings on pod cast.
__________________Also available for Droid Phones app is called simply, Divine Office Catholic One is another app that has the Bible daily readings and a Rosary app all included.
The time it takes to pray is not nearly as important as praying while you pray it.
Jesus spoke of this in Mathew when he warned the Pharisees about honoring the law for the sake of the law and not for what the law was written for.... giving glory to God.

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:16, topic:253341"]
__________________Also available for Droid Phones app is called simply, Divine Office Catholic One is another app that has the Bible daily readings and a Rosary app all included.
The time it takes to pray is not nearly as important as praying while you pray it.
Jesus spoke of this in Mathew when he warned the Pharisees about honoring the law for the
sake of the law and not for what the law was written for.... giving glory to God.

[/quote]

iBreviary is free, and fantastic :)

Magnificat. It has abbreviated morning and evening prayers for every day and the Mass readings. It is perfect for most people I know who have family and work commitments which take precedent to saying the divine office.

[quote="Mrs_Sally, post:18, topic:253341"]
Magnificat. It has abbreviated morning and evening prayers for every day and the Mass readings. It is perfect for most people I know who have family and work commitments which take precedent to saying the divine office.

[/quote]

Magnificat is great.

But:D

I promise if you start praying the LotH (using the St Joseph's Guide ;) ) you will never go back.:)

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:19, topic:253341"]
Magnificat is great.

But:D

I promise if you start praying the LotH (using the St Joseph's Guide ;) ) you will never go back.:)

[/quote]

I have prayed the LoTH before. Now, I pray morning and evening prayers with my family (teen children) and Magnificat is perfect for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.