How do you dress modestly in the summer?

I do not know what to wear in the summer, because is getting hotter, but I do not want anything short or tight. Any reccomendations. I am female.

Wear clothes in natural fibres like cotton.
Also stick to lighter colours and looser items.
You can still wear longer skirts, like knee-length as long as they are looser and made of a light fabric.

You could wear knee-length slim shorts, which look nice with most types of summer tops, such as a more structured cotton blouse or loose knit top. Also, a flowy cotton or other light material skirt would be cute with these tops. Both can be worn with flat sandals or ballet flats. A knee-length sundress with a cardigan (to prevent freezing when going indoors with AC cranked) would be pretty and could be dressed up with open-toed heels.

Lots of options!

I really like the longer “Bermuda” style shorts and capris. Usually I am comfortable in these even if it gets into the 90s. Also, knee-length skirts are nice.

I usually wear basic t-shirts…mine might be considered a little fitted for most but I am really slim and these are also junior sizes, but I would think finding basic t-shirts that are not fitted in women’s sizes can’t be too difficult. I’ve seen them in L.L. Bean catalogs and at Kohl’s.

[quote="_Abyssinia, post:1, topic:242554"]
I do not know what to wear in the summer, because is getting hotter, but I do not want anything short or tight. Any reccomendations. I am female.

[/quote]

Four things to keep in mind:
1. natural fabrics - Polyesters and poly-blends do not breathe, no matter what manufacturers try to tell you. Cotton, bamboo, linen, and combos thereof, wick moisture away from your skin, keeping you cooler.
2. light colors - They deflect sunlight and all that good stuff.
3. loose fit - Tight clothing doesn't allow air to move around you skin, making you hotter.

I've found that a dress like this:
ep.yimg.com/ca/I/shukr_2159_60686990

is actually cooler and more comfortable to wear than a dress like this:

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/8/1/2/3/1583218/grey/image1xl.jpg

If you're looking for specific sellers, I've found these places to be really good to work with:

tznius.com/
shukronline.com/
koshercasual.com/
aljilbab.com/
eshakti.com/

The last store allows you to customize their clothing, so you and lengthen sleeves, raise collars, and adjust dress/skirt lengths to your liking.:)

Wear clothes that are thin, loose, made of cotton and are light in color, white been best.

Don't neglect a hat, either. A decent wide brimmed straw hat keeps you cooler. Also keep your hair shorter, or pulled in a ponytail or braid and pinned.

Layers are good. Lots of stores seem to have crocheted or knitted 'shrugs' (there are also decent patterns out there) which are nice to wear over a sleeveless top (because sometimes you HAVE sleeveless tops in your wardrobe and you don't have the money to 'replace' them. With a shrug, you can wear them and yet have modest coverage.

I like bermuda shorts and knee length skirts and summer dresses. Cotton is always good. None of the synthetic fabrics… they tend to get really hot. I do not recommend capri pants for anyone… they make your legs look short and squatty…nothing should hit between the knee and the ankle including sandals (no ankle straps!). All of those cut off the line of your leg and make them look short.

For woman and young girls. Dresses with sleeves, knee length and no cleavage. Shorts getting to the knee and tops with sleeves and no cleavage. We men have a real struggle keeping our thoughts pure when woman let it all hang out. Help us out girls.

[quote="karow, post:5, topic:242554"]
Four things to keep in mind:
1. natural fabrics - Polyesters and poly-blends do not breathe, no matter what manufacturers try to tell you. Cotton, bamboo, linen, and combos thereof, wick moisture away from your skin, keeping you cooler.
2. light colors - They deflect sunlight and all that good stuff.
3. loose fit - Tight clothing doesn't allow air to move around you skin, making you hotter.

I've found that a dress like this:
ep.yimg.com/ca/I/shukr_2159_60686990

is actually cooler and more comfortable to wear than a dress like this:

http://images.asos.com/inv/media/8/1/2/3/1583218/grey/image1xl.jpg

If you're looking for specific sellers, I've found these places to be really good to work with:

tznius.com/
shukronline.com/
koshercasual.com/
aljilbab.com/
eshakti.com/

The last store allows you to customize their clothing, so you and lengthen sleeves, raise collars, and adjust dress/skirt lengths to your liking.:)

[/quote]

Well the problem with wearing #1 is that you might get mistaken for a Muslim woman and I don't think most Christian women would go for that.

I’d wear the second dress you posted to an evening event in the summer. I don’t think it’s immodest in most settings (as long as the hemline isn’t too short - I can’t tell from the picture - but I’m short so most dresses are a little longer on me anyway). And I think it would be way cooler and more comfortable than a full-length dress with long sleeves buttoned up to the neck.

The interesting thing about modesty is that its not merely about covering up your “no-no” parts. Consider modesty standards for going to the beach between going to Mass. You certainly wouldn’t wear a modest bathing suit to Mass. A speggetti strap dress with a fairly high neckline may be decent for a wedding reception, but it can show an extra sign of respect and reverence to cover the shoulders more during the ceremony.

You don’t have to die of heat during the summer for the sake of modesty. You just need to ensure that you’re not wearing clothing that is designed to encourage to highlight your sexual features to the destraction of everything else that is beautiful about you. You want clothing that is going to highlight you as a person. Typically this means avoiding super short shorts. But like I said, if you’re going to the beach or the pool and wearing a tank-kini with swim shorts, those swimming shorts are super short but amazingly modest for the pool. Certainly we don’t need to stress out over the fact that there is no swimwear that includes swim shorts that are like baggy walking shorts (ending just before the knee-cap). And while some people might want to promote always wearing a swimsuit coverup, getting those wet at all where they start clinging can be even more immodest than modest swimwear that covers less skin than the coverup.

I’d say just take those things into consideration when shopping for summer clothing and trying things on

:thumbsup: Not to mention keeping your skin from looking like old leather. :thumbsup:

I wasn’t commenting on the modesty of the dress but the comfort factor. I find more revealing clothing to be less comfortable because there’s nothing against my skin to wick away moisture.

If you can wear a dress like this dress and feel cooler than covering up, go for it. :slight_smile:

It really depends on how you accessorize, especially if you don’t wear a headscarf. Wear a hijab and yeah, most people would probably mistake you for a Muslima. But if you wear your hair loose and wear a necklace and some nice earrings, you just look really put together and modest.

That’s what I like about Shukr - their fashions are more Western-y than Middle Eastern-y.

[quote="karow, post:14, topic:242554"]
I wasn't commenting on the modesty of the dress but the comfort factor. I find more revealing clothing to be less comfortable because there's nothing against my skin to wick away moisture.

If you can wear a dress like this dress and feel cooler than covering up, go for it. :)

[/quote]

DH and I are always laughing that summer weddings are basically the only situation where women have it better than men clothing-wise. They are stuffed up in suits (or at minimum their dress shirt with the suit coat close at hand) and we are wearing breezy dresses. That's what those dresses reminded me of for some reason.

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant! :)

I agree about men’s suits and can’t understand why no one has come up with suits for men out of lightweight material. Sometimes a man can wear a short sleeve polo shirt and dress pants and get away with it but sometimes only a suit will do. I went to an outdoor wedding (not Catholic of course) a couple of years ago. This was in June in Texas where the weather rarely gets out of the 90s. The wedding was around 5 in the afternoon which is still amazingly hot here and all the men in the wedding party were melting in their too hot tuxes.
And I also agree with the poster that suggested bermuda shorts and tee shirts in hot weather. I like the layered look someone mentioned but where I live it’s impossible to layer clothes in the summer heat. :tanning:

I agree about men’s suits and can’t understand why no one has come up with suits for men out of lightweight material.

cubanguayaberashirts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Guayabera.jpg

cubanproducts.com/media/products/Bridal_party_wearing_guayaberas.jpg

i think men look ***soooo ***handsome in guyaberas (mexican wedding shirts.) i think they’re wonderful for a summer church wedding, too.

[quote="karow, post:13, topic:242554"]
:thumbsup: Not to mention keeping your skin from looking like old leather. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Exactly. I'm almost 55 and a lot of my contemporaries who hit the tanning booths (and smoked) look closer to 70 plus and get annoyed when we go out to eat and they get asked if I'm their *daughter. *

They have. It’s called seersucker. It’s what Jay Gatsby wore on those hot July afternoons while he was mooning over Daisy from his dock.

http://www.shanefarmer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/seersucker-blazer-image-by-alasekou-on-photobucket.jpg

Of course, if you’re interested in a formal look that’s a little more “ethnic,” you can go for this look:

Both are traditional Thai wedding outfits. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.