How do you find a particular Priest in Canada?

I just discovered that I am NOT the only Catholic in my extended family.

I have a cousin that is/was a Priest, in Canada. I only know his name, and the fact that when his mother died in 1975, he was in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

His name is/was Father Joseph Black, and he was born sometime after 1922 (his parents were married in 1922 in Manitoba). I suspect that he would have been in the Diocese of Winnipeg, unless he was in a Religious Community.

His older brother, Angus John Black was a "Flying Officer" with the Royal Canadian Air Force, and was killed in June 1944 (he is buried in Holland).

Any clues, or help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly at: [email]theoldmedic@att.net[/email]

Thanks,

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:1, topic:237720"]

I have a cousin that is/was a Priest, in Canada. I only know his name, and the fact that when his mother died in 1975, he was in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

His name is/was Father Joseph Black, and he was born sometime after 1922 (his parents were married in 1922 in Manitoba). I suspect that he would have been in the Diocese of Winnipeg, unless he was in a Religious Community.

His older brother, Angus John Black was a "Flying Officer" with the Royal Canadian Air Force, and was killed in June 1944 (he is buried in Holland).

Any clues, or help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly at: [email]theoldmedic@att.net[/email]

Thanks,

[/quote]

Hiyas :)

Have you tried here?

boards.ancestry.com/surnames.black/4221/mb.ashx

Have you tried the website of the archdiocese?

Yes to both of the above responses.

I did know a Father Black in Calgary, but he has since moved up north and I don't think his first name was Joseph.

If I were you I would look into which religious communities if priests/brothers serve in Canada and in Brasil. I don't know of many diocesan priests who would be spending much time in Brasil unless they had family there.

Oh, here is a list you can go by. vocations.ca/Directory/religious_priests.php

[quote="The_Old_Medic, post:1, topic:237720"]

Thanks,

[/quote]

Have you contacted the archdiocese directly via phone or appointment? The archdiocese website has an Archdiocesan archivist, it could be your best bet. A lot of what you may want to know won't likely be on the websites alone. I'm sure they have records of enrollment and enlistment. Since he is a Priest, the religious communities won't be as necessary due to the necessity of consecration by the Ecclesiarch itself. The communities will help though.

Best of wishes in your endeavors.

God Bless,

Chris.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.