How do you get over your lunch break?

How do you get ride of that groggy feeling after your lunch break at work? At work I'm given a hour for lunch most of the time. So I normally eat a sandwich and maybe chips and drink a coke. Then I sit and think or read during the rest of my break. I don't walk around because I'm on my feet the whole shift. But when I get back to work it takes forever to get going again. I like 30min lunches better just because I don't get to relaxed lol. Any tips on getting over that groggy feeling?

You are experiencing a blood sugar crash! The carbs bring on an insulin dump, and the insulin processes the sugar just about in time to get back to work, so then you have low energy.

Try eating fewer simple carbs (sugar pop, chips, and bread), and more protein and complex carbs with fiber (meat, peanut butter, whole grains, fresh vegetables).

See if that makes a difference.

[quote="stockbrick240, post:1, topic:226410"]
How do you get ride of that groggy feeling after your lunch break at work? At work I'm given a hour for lunch most of the time. So I normally eat a sandwich and maybe chips and drink a coke. ?

[/quote]

that is a lot of carbs and not much real nutritition, depending on what is in the sandwich. If I eat a high carb meal, besides the sugar spike, I am almost dead for the next few hours. Because the sugar drops as quickly as it rises. Not to mention the damage the spike is doing to my diabetic body.

do some movement, other than walking, if your job keeps you on your feet. Stretching, small weights you can do wear you are, and so forth. If I had a whole hour I would spend a half hour in the chapel.

going to run quickly to KFC (where I can get grilled chicken and plain tea and green beans as a low carb side) because I only have less than 30 min. on High School night. I drink a cup of coffee in the afternoon on days I work late, and I never go more than 4 hours w/o a meal (had a protein shake at 2.)

See if you can get to noon Mass.

Sleep deprivation has a lot to do with it. But if you're anything like me, there aren't enough hours in the day to get the recommended amount of sleep!

Substitute the food choices that people suggested, and if you're a healthy individual, grab a cup of black coffee (or put some Splenda in it if you think black is gross). If it's around noon or 1 PM, it shouldn't affect your sleep at night.

If your job allows it, I also find having water on hand is helpful. Just the act of sipping on something helps wake me up. Of course, you'll probably have to go to the bathroom more, but that might help wake you up too... :p

I think we should just do like some other countries and have siestas! :smiley: That would solve the problem!

Whenever I'm on break, I never really look forward to clocking back in ....I think it all depends on the mood I'm in.....I usually don't get a break because I only work 5 hours.

I don't take one- my office is so quiet and sleepy that I just can't stay awake after lunch. Plus I get off early!

I hit the ground running at 2 a.m. (bakery job) and I absolutely HATE to take a lunch break! I take 30 minutes (the minimum allowed and my boss isn't happy... he wants me to take a full hour) and spend most of it moving... if I sit down for the full 30 minutes, I feel like I'll fall asleep on my feet when I get up and I feel it disrupts my momentum! :choocho: I'd be happy just to take a 15-minute break twice a day (if I feel I need two), but I'm supposed to take two breaks in addition to my lunch period! If they ever catch on and start enforcing it, I'll go nuts!

I've never been a fan of breakfast, so my appetite doesn't kick in until I've been at work about six hours... then it's "lunch" time (at 8 a.m.!) I usually have a protein shake to keep me going, coffee and water... I try to stay away from sodas and junk food (not easy in a bakery, but I think I've developed an immunity!) If I'm really hungry, I'll buy a Weight Watchers meal on my lunch break to take the edge off till I get home (my shift ends at 10 a.m. and I'm usually home in time for lunch) which is a benefit of working in a grocery store!

If I'm having one of "those" days, I'll usually take myself off to my car and spend my lunch hour reading or praying the rosary... re-energizing!

Reduce the simple carbs with complex carbs such as fruits and veggies. Incorporate more proteins, such as yogurt.

I suggest getting some homework done during lunch breaks as well!!!

[quote="spunjalebi, post:10, topic:226410"]

I suggest getting some homework done during lunch breaks as well!!!

[/quote]

Oh I work on it during breaks lol

Become a teacher, have 20 min for lunch, then go out to recess w/ kids, then teach more classes after recess. No time to be tired . . .

How do you get ride of that groggy feeling after your lunch break at work? At work I'm given a hour for lunch most of the time. So I normally eat a sandwich and maybe chips and drink a coke. Then I sit and think or read during the rest of my break. I don't walk around because I'm on my feet the whole shift. But when I get back to work it takes forever to get going again. I like 30min lunches better just because I don't get to relaxed lol. Any tips on getting over that groggy feeling?

[/quote]

Switch to real fruit juice or skim milk in place of the Coke, and have some fresh carrot sticks and broccoli pieces in place of the chips. You'll notice a huge difference in your energy levels. :)

Such good advice here!! Wow, please read what everyone is saying. They are correct, the sugar issue is probably your main problem. However, I want to let you know that carbs are OK, even necessary, but they have to be good carbs. For example, it's OK to eat bread but eat a whole wheat bread and make sure that whole wheat is the first ingredient or it's not real whole wheat. Drop the chips and cola. A diet coke is OK but water or a no-cal, low-cal fruit drink of some sort is better. I like my diet cokes though.

One of my pet peeves is that people believe that carbs are bad. They aren't bad. The media has trained you to think they are bad. That being said, don't run out and eat a box full of Twinkies and don't eat pasta three meals a day, be smart about your carbs. For example, whole wheat is always better than white.

Also, after you eat, take a walk. Go outside, even if it's cold, and take a brisk 10-15 minute walk. It will do wonders. If it's super nasty weather outside, find a set of stairs and run up and down the stairs a few times. Get that ole ticker ticking. That will wake you up.

Now if I can just follow my own advice........:) I have an awful sweet tooth but I try my best to control it.

[/quote]

I have never gotten a groggy feeling from a lunch break.

How's your weight? If your weight is going up, then maybe you are eating too much.

A sandwich may have too much bread; just eat the contents of the sandwich, and skip the bread ... either toss the bread or take it home in a baggie. Or get a deli-container with tuna salad and skip the bread entirely.

Drink water instead of coke.

Or bring tea bags from home and make a cuppa tea.

Or bring some fruit from home and have a banana and an orange or a pear.

If your boss insists you take a full hour, then fabulous.

Do some spiritual reading. Or do your homework ... you can use the opportunity to take courses at adult school or by correspondence and do the homework during lunch.

If you are on your feet all day, standing, then going for a brisk walk, even a short one can be very refreshing ... and lets you focus your eyes on a distant point instead of right in front of you which is tiring.

I work midnights dispatching so tired is automatically in the picture. Because I work alone I don't get to take a lunch break, but when I do get a chance to eat something during my midnight shift I found that if I bring a sub sandwich or pizza I get groggy within an hour or so. I try to keep more fruits and veggies on the menu (like carrots, celery, apples, and oranges...bananas are easy too). If I do eat meat I try to stay away from poultry because it makes me tired too. Now that I'm pregnant I'm even more tired and can't count on caffeine anymore, I rely on orange juice...I just sip it so there's no sugar crash and it works the same.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.