How do you greet people this time of year?

Are you going to be politically correct? Do you say what you believe to be the “proper” greeting? Or do you Say “Merry Christmas?”

Did anyone watch CNN yesterday with the report about Wal Mart?
I will be saying as I always do: Merry Christmas! :o

[quote=KathleenElsie]Are you going to be politically correct? Do you say what you believe to be the “proper” greeting? Or do you Say “Merry Christmas?”
[/quote]

well this time of year I say Hi, because it is not Christmas yet. Beginning Christmas Eve I will greet people with “Merry Christmas” and beginning New Years Eve, with “Happy New Year” for about a week, then go back to “HI”

“Hi, how’s it going?”
“Hey, what’s up?”
“Hi, long time no see!”
“Hi, what’s new?”
“Hello, nice to see you!”

Very close to Christmas I’ll say "Merry Christmas"
Very close to New Year I’ll say “Happy New Year”

When it’s close to Thanksgiving, the mood may strike me to wish people a Happy Thanksgiving.

When I see my mother and niece at Thanksgiving-time, I will also greet them with “Happy Birthday” since one has a birthday on Thanksgiving this year and the other’s is within the same week, so they’re both getting cake and candles at Thanksgiving dinner.

I used to say “Happy Holidays” as much as “Merry Christmas” interchangeably before it became a politically charged issue. I’ve always been used to hearing both traditional religious Christmas carols based on Christ’s birth and more secular songs like “May the merry bells keep ringing happy holidays to you” at the same time each year. Just got used to saying both. These days, I’ll try to break myself from saying “Happy Holidays” in favor of “Merry Christmas,” because these days there’s more of a need to witness for Christ at Christmas.

We’re having a “Holiday Party” at work, but I intend to refer to it as a Christmas Party.

~~ the phoenix

If someone is obviously of another faith (Muslim woman in hijab, Jewish man in yarmulke) or if I know that they practice another faith, I will wish them a “Happy Eid” or “Blessed High Holy Days”, etc. I’ve had the same courtesy extended to me in reverse- a Muslim woman working at a store noticed my crucifix during Holy Week and wished me a Happy Easter, and my Jewish friends always wish me a Merry Christmas.

If I don’t know, I wish them Merry Christmas. I’ve never had anyone be rude about it. They either return the phrase or say thank you.

I say “Happy Holidays”. I want everyone to be happy, regardless of what they celebrate.

“Hiya” and “Howz it goin’”. As puzzleannie pointed out, it is no where even near Chrsitmas yet. What am I going to say? “Happy end of the liturgical year?” Then maybe “Productive Advent”?

I never greet people with “Merry Christmas” anyway. I save that for my closer, as I am exiting. It sounds so cheery as I am leaving a person. But I don’t start until Christmas Eve.

i use “good morning/evening”

its WAY too early to be using a holiday greeting. (I use merry christmas myself but only during christmas, happy advent once we are there and they know what im talking about)

To be perfectly honest, I don’t think about it at all. I just say hello or good-bye like always.

[quote=Marilena]Did anyone watch CNN yesterday with the report about Wal Mart?
I will be saying as I always do: Merry Christmas! :o
[/quote]

No, I didn’t see it, but now I’m all curious. What did they say about Wal Mart?

On Christmas day : Merry Christmas
Else: Compliments of the Season

[quote=Gwyn]On Christmas day : Merry Christmas
[/quote]

Either
Merry Christmas
or (for certain people):
Bah!! Humbug!!:stuck_out_tongue:
PF

On Christmas day : Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas !:wink:

I’m not very politically correct anyway. haha. but I will always say merry Christmas, not merry X-mas or happy holidays.

As for me and my family… we wil serve the Lord! :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas - except when I see my doctor - then it’s Happy Hannukah.

[quote=Gwyn]On Christmas day : Merry Christmas
[/quote]

I love the feel of “Compliments of the Season”. It’s so…not sophisticated…not intellectual…not cultured…

…but erudite.

[quote=OutinChgoburbs]I love the feel of “Compliments of the Season”. It’s so…not sophisticated…not intellectual…not cultured…

…but erudite.
[/quote]

you reading the dictionary…or just that “learned”? :nerd:

~ Kathy ~ :wave:

I’ve been wondering, since the “holiday greetings” discussions are getting dusted off and brought to the forefront…Merry Christmas isn’t a very “holy” greeting. It does mention Christmas but the “Merry” part seems focused on the party/festive atmosphere, not the faith aspects.

As long as people are making of point of using the word Christmas in holiday greetings, wouldn’t it make sense to take the next step and make the greeting even more meaningful?

I am asking this of people for whom this is an issue. They are trying to make a point, so why not really make a point. Merry Christmas is still pretty cultural and generic. Why not “Blessed Christmas” or “Holy Christmas” or such?

cheddar

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.