How do you join a religious order?

What is the process to join a religious order? I’d like to be apart of the Franciscans or the Benedictines. Do I still have to go to college (to get a diploma) and then do seminary? I don’t know if I can get into University and a get a degree… :frowning:

Write to the ones you are interested in. They will tell you what they require. They will take care of any education that they feel you need. When you find one you like, you can visit them ( they will usually ask you to come for a visit, so you can get the know them and they can get to know you).

I suggest you talk to your priest for some guidance. I visited different convents when I was considering becoming a nun. Your priest can advise you on educational expectations, orders to visit or contact. Remember to pray often and to listen well. My prayers are with you. My health prevented me from entering a religious community, but I have remained single. Single is really hard sometimes, but we all have ways we are called to serve our Lord.

Don’t let a lack of education stop you, but don’t make it your reason to be a monk…
Franciscan Requirements: franciscanfriarstor.com/archive/vocations/stf_our_requirements.htm

Benedictine Requirements: sbabbey.com/vocations.html

More than anything, contact them:
Franciscan Info: franciscan.org/vocations/becoming_a_friar.asp
Benedictine Info: sbabbey.com/contact-us.html

The best thing you can do at this point is research, pray, and talk to your parish priest.

Look into the different charisms and spiritualities of the religious orders you are interested in.

After you’ve spent some time in basic research, start looking for a few communities that you feel called towards and start contacting whoever is in charge of their vocations. Google will help!

If you’d like, most communities allow a persons to do a short stay in order to learn more about life there.

I am meeting my parish priest Nov 25 (very excited!), and I’ll be asking A LOT of questions. I imagine we’ll be talking for hours. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Eduardo06sp

Thanks! They don’t even mention having a university degree… most of those I am following and will start to (like attending mass). Thank you and God bless you! My spirits have been lifted, thanks. :slight_smile: Got tears in my eyes as well. :o

As an added extra for monastic orders (such as the Benedictines) - typically, you don’t just apply to a particular province or region of the order (such as with the Franciscans) you apply to a specific abbey monastery. Monastic orders take an additional vow of stability - which in practical terms means that they are usually required to remain living in the same abbey for life (with a few exceptions)… Choose wisely!

I’m wondering, since I live in Canada, will I have to live in the United States? The U.S. has a much more vibrant and larger Catholic population, so I’d think that many Canadian Catholics would move there. Would I have to? Or are there monasteries in Canada? I’m fine with living in the U.S., by the way.

Do an internet search. I am sure there are orders in Canada. Seminary is not required. The challenge will be to find a community that resonates with your own spiritual journey.

I’m wondering, since I live in Canada, will I have to live in the United States? The U.S. has a much more vibrant and larger Catholic population, so I’d think that many Canadian Catholics would move there. Would I have to? Or are there monasteries in Canada? I’m fine with living in the U.S., by the way.

As others have posted yes talk to your parish priest, and also contact some of the Franciscans in your area.( If you are interested in ministry in the United States then I would contact various Franciscan Provinces in the U.S.)…however you might begin closer to home so that you have a Franciscan closer to home to connect with…

The Franciscans are international of course and some times Friars from one country go to join a province in a different country, the specifics are best explained by the vocation directors in that particular province.

There are of course provinces in Canada,
ofm.org/atlas/maphtml/canada.html

this link come from the official website in Rome for the OFM friars… it may have some links to it might prove useful to you, it shows worldwide links to provinces throughout the world.

ofm.org/atlas/maphtml/usa.html

blessings on your journey where-ever it may lead

Sr. Debbie, OSC

there are three Benedictine monasteries in Canada. One is St. Peter’s in Saskatchewan They run 22 parishes, a junior college and a printing press and I think a couple other things. There is also Westminster Abbey in BC which runs a seminary. There is also Benoit du Lac in Quebec which is contemplative (no outside apostolates other than the guesthouse) but you havve to speak french to be accepted.

yes there are Franciscans and Dominicans and of course many other orders in Canada.

Your best way to begin would be to contact your local vocations director and ask for directories for orders with formations in Canada.

As others have said… it is best to contact the orders or diocese directly and then worry about things like schooling etc…

Blessings

Sr Debbie OSC

P.S. Orders will tell you where there members might serve based on the province they cover…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.