How do you know God is talking to you?

Hi everyone,
When you pray,how do you think God speaks to us?,do you hear an inner voice or do you find out later that something you did answered your prayers?.
I mean do you do something subconsciously and then something dawns on you that your prayer has been answered ?.Do you just know?,what if you feel none of your pleas have been heard, do you accept that He knows best and you keep on trying?(which we should!).I would like to hear your views on this,
God Bless,
Mick.

Once I asked a question…asking for a sign, really. When I blessed myself with Holy water on the way out, I got a little shock when I touched the water.

Coincidence? Static electricity buildup?

It’s never happened before or since, so in that instance, I got my answer rather directly. Otherwise, it’s usually a very strong feeling or conviction about something. I know he hears everything that I pray, but also know that an answer may be yes, no, or “I’ll get back to you on that”. :wink:

How do we know we are encountering God? By Fr. Robert Barren
youtube.com/watch?v=m-NoRbPEPzs

I firmly believe that God speaks to us in so many different ways and in DEFINITE ways. It is our faith that allows us to see His answers. If you lack the faith, you don’t see the answers. Sometimes, He speaks to us through the words of others (e.g. in a homily at Mass; or through the words of a friend or loved-one that is relevant to your concerns). Sometimes, I’ll wonder about something and open up my favorite Catholic newspaper and the answer will smack me in the face.

Sometimes, I sit quietly in front of the Blessed Sacrament and many of my worries suddenly seem silly and the solution becomes clear as a bell. And sometimes, I hear a little inner voice saying something like… “Of course that’s a sin. If you need to dwell on it, then you know you’ve done something wrong. Trust in my mercy and receive the sacrament of reconciliation as soon as possible”. So I guess what I’m trying to say is YES! God speaks to us in subtle ways and in extremely obvious ways. Your faith determines how much you hear.

My wife says He speaks with a small, clear, unwavering voice.

The clincher is when He speaks of the future and it happens. After this happened a few times, my wife’s doubts went away.

I have never had that experience, so my own answer to the question is, “I don’t know.”

I know it is God talking to me when my soul is at peace despite the storm raging on around me.

I have come to realize that He is always talking to me, always walking with me on my journey through life and suggesting to me the right thing, the best thing, to do at each moment.

I continue to be awed that He provides answers to questions I never thought to ask, guidance to a life I never thought of living, protection when I am lost in a valley of darkness.

Go with love, Go with God

I agree.:thumbsup:
Also it amazes me how, before Mass I am praying and usually asking for His grace and mercy upon someone, or myself and sometimes I ask Him something and then the Priest touches on that in his homily.
One time, it had nothing absolutely to do with the readings or the Gospel of the day or anything and out of his mouth came the answer to what I had asked the Lord about earlier. The Priest turned his head sideways a little, had a puzzled look on his face and said…“Now where did that come from”? Then he said, "Well, I certainly hope that helped someone out there cause I have no idea what that was about!!"
I just smiled and silently said Thank you Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.