How do you know that God is really what you all say He is?

dear sir/madam,

i'm 19 and i've spent all my life as a catholic, but sometimes it gets really really hard to believe. each time someone tells me they love me, they end up hurting me in ways i dont feel like describing. it makes me wonder how different can God's love be? is it wrong that i don't want to think of God as someone who's loving because it scares me? things that happened make me so scared of the whole idea of love, even if its supposed to be God's unconditional love.
i find it so hard to sit through mass because there are so many things i doubt even though i know it is my duty to go, and that God is real. it makes me feel like a hypocrite when i go to mass.
i really dont know what to do. please help? :(

Dear friend,

Even though Catholics you know say they love you and yet are unkind to you, this does not mean that this is the kind of love that God has for you. Jesus didn’t go around hurting people; He went around healing them physically and, more importantly, spiritually. In fact, He was willing to suffer greatly in order to benefit us. So what is most important isn’t what people say about Him as what He said about Himself by His actions. If you would like to discuss this here with me privately, just click on my name. I will be praying for you.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.